For Int1 = 12 To 96
.Columns(Int1).Hidden = Cells(3, Int1).Value <> 0
Next Int1
End With

Range(Cells(2, 47), Cells(2, 96)).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeBlanks)(1).Select

' Hide columns that aren't required

Dim rng As Range
Dim Col1 As Integer
Col1 = ActiveSheet.Columns(ActiveCell.Column).Rows(1)

' set rng to refer to required range

Set rng = Range(3 & ":" & Col1 - 1)

rng.Select
Selection.EntireColumn.Hidden = True

End Sub

I'm assuming the issue is surrounding Col1, in that it will be in the "A1" format, and should be a number. However, I don't know how to define Col1 as the identified column as a number.

Thanks

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
Try using the "Cell" structure, which can accept numbers in columns, like you did here:
VBA Code:

By the way, the left side of your range appears to be problematic too:
Rich (BB code):
Not sure what you are trying to do with that red part, but it does not look correct.

Not sure what you are trying to accomplish here either:
VBA Code:

If you explain what range you are trying to build there, we can probably help you with that part.

Upvote 0
Thanks - hopefully this will make it clearer

' To find the first blank cell in row 2 between columns 47 and 96 (earlier part of macro not included)

' Set range to Hide columns that aren't required

Dim rng As Range
Dim Col1 As Integer

' trying to set a marker to identify the column
' i'm assuming this is where things are going wrong

' set rng to refer to required range
' column 3 is a constant and is the first column to be hidden
' Col1 - 1 is the last column (from 3) to be hidden

rng.Select
Selection.EntireColumn.Hidden = True

End Sub

Upvote 0
Why don't we take a step back here. It is often very hard to figure out how exactly you want something to work from code that has issues with it.
So, can you just explain in plain English exactly how you want this to work?
Are you wanting to look at all the cells in the range AU2:CR2, and hide the ENTIRE column if the value in that cell is blank (i.e. if AU2 is blank, hide the entire column AU)?

Upvote 0
I am trying to hide a series of columns from 3 to a variant number.
Can you please provide more details?

Let's totally forget about your code right now, and just work on the explanation, to someone who has no knowledge of your issue.
How is this "variant number" to be derived?
What is the logic for determing which columns to hide and which not to?
Are there any other important details we should know?

Upvote 0
How is this "variant number" to be derived?
The variant is established using Range(Cells(2, 47), Cells(2, 96)).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeBlanks)(1).Select, Row 2 having the first blank cell in that range of columns
So it is the blank cell in row 2 that is the deciding factor. Because I want to enter something in this cell I don't want it to be hidden, so am trying to select the adjacent column to the left.

What is the logic for determing which columns to hide and which not to?
I want the first column with an empty row 2 to be to the left of the screen, so I can enter data in row 2 and other rows for that column. The logic as to which column show be hidden is in the first section (see original posting) and is based on row 3. There is a formula (for example =IF(Z$68>0,Z$68,0) in that row, but nothing in row 2. Doing the search on row 2 allows me to find the first 'empty' cell.
Are there any other important details we should know?
The initial sort begins at column 12, but I want column 3 onwards to be hidden. This is only because columns 3 - 11 have data I'm not concerned about at this stage so don't need to see them.

Upvote 0
Hmmm... Without seeing the companion data, I am finding these explanations a bit confusing. Would it be possible to post a small example, showing us what your sheet looks like, and explaining what you want to happen in that instance? Many times, things become much clearer when we can see and work through an actual example.

MrExcel has a tool called “XL2BB” that lets you post samples of your data that will allow us to copy/paste it to our Excel spreadsheets, so we can work with the same copy of data that you are. Instructions on using this tool can be found here: XL2BB Add-in

Note that there is also a "Test Here” forum on this board. This is a place where you can test using this tool (or any other posting techniques that you want to test) before trying to use those tools in your actual posts.

Upvote 0
Hi again

Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
A3A3=COUNT(INDIRECT("A"&"10:A5000"))+9
L3L3=IF(L6>0,L6,0)
S3,M3:Q3M3=IF(M$7>0,M$7,0)
L6,M19:Q19,S6,M6:Q17L6=IF(OR($A6=0,L5=0),0,L5)
A19,A6:A17A6=EOMONTH(A5,1)
Cells with Conditional Formatting
CellConditionCell FormatStop If True
CS1:XFD1,AE20:XFD1048576,A20:AC1048576,AE5:AT5,A1:K18,AU5:XFD18,S19:XFD19,A19:Q19,S6:AT18,L2:Q18,L1:Z1,S2:XFD4,S5:AC5Cell Value=0textNO

I did try and load the whole sheet but it was too big. Using the condensed version, I want to establish the first cell in row 2 that is blank AFTER column M, and then hide columns 3 to the column preceding the blank cell column. Is should select column P and having entered data into that column, run the macro again it would then select column R.

Upvote 0
It should select column P (and hide up to O) and having entered data into that column, run the macro again it would then select column R (and hide up to Q).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmsotelo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back