smudgester

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2019
  3. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all,

I realise this might actually be more of a maths question but I figured some Excel guru has probably had the same problem before :)

So I have two columns in a spreadsheet; estimate and actual. Both columns refer to the amount of man hours a project takes. We then have a formula cell that compares them as a simple percentage - actual/estimate. So, for example:

EstimateActualDelta
14400%
12200%
1020200%

All fine so far. However, as these are man hours (which have cost/planning implications), being 10 hours over on 10 hour estimate is worse than being 1 hour over on a 1 hour estimate and we would like this shown in the Excel table.

To my Friday afternoon mind, this just need a simple scaling factor or something like ( actual - estimate ) / estimate. But in the two examples, above, this still comes back as the same answer for both rows.

Can anyone help me with what I am missing here ?

Regards,

Adam

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
why not use Actual - Estimate that is the real cost of all your overruns , you can then sum them for all the estimates

Upvote 0
why not use Actual - Estimate that is the real cost of all your overruns , you can then sum them for all the estimates

Because I don't need the sum of the overruns ( well I do but I have that already ? ), I need to know which individual rows are overrunning proportionally worse than the others.

Although, looking at it again, maybe my mistake is I should be just at be doing delta / actual ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AKSMITH

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back