Evaluate/summarize range of text to populate summary based on specific logic defined

ziggystardustz

Hi all,

I need to evaluate values from a list on one worksheet and summarize the answers on to another worksheet using specific logic. I don't write code so I seem to be lost. I can't figure this out based on other examples given because it's not an exact match to mine. here goes...

Working with two worksheets, First worksheet is worksheet 1 and it has two columns, A for "Area" and B for "Status."

Second worksheet has 3 columns, A for Area, B for Task, C for Status. Example data:

Column A
Area
Project Team

Column B
Task
Documentation
UAT
Support
Training Materials

Column C
Status
G
G
Y
R

Values in "Status" of Column c of worksheet 2 are selected from a named list that contain the values G, Y, R and a blank. each has associated conditional formatting so G=Green, Y=Yellow, R=Red and Blank is no fill.

I need the status in column B of worksheet 1 to disaply automatically based on selections made in column C of worksheet 2 based on the following logic:

If one or more cells in the range (C2-C5) in column C worksheet 2 equals G or blank, with no R or Y, display G (with green background) in cell 2b on worksheet 1.

if at least one of the cells in range (C2-C5) in column C equals Y, with no R, display Y with yellow background) in cell 2b on worksheet 1. (overrides any green or blank)

if at least one of the cells in range (C2-C5) in column C equals R, display R with red background in cell 2b on worksheet 1. (ignores green, blank and yellow)

I'd also like to add this condition to the listing if possible:

if all cells in the range are G/green, display Completed with green background in cell 2b on worksheet 1.

I am not an advanced excel user so any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
Ok! This is going to be one big and messy formula.
Using a basic if statement: If(condition is true, do this , else do this)

Taking your criteria back to front, the order determines which condition overrides the others.

Condition 1
If at least one of the cells in range (C2-C5) in column C equals R, display R with red background in cell 2b on worksheet 1. (ignores green, blank and yellow)

=IF(COUNTIF(Sheet2!$C$2:$C$5,"R")>0,"R")

Condition 2
If one or more cells in the range (C2-C5) in column C worksheet 2 equals G or blank, with no R or Y, display G (with green background) in cell 2b on worksheet 1.

=IF(AND(COUNTIF(Sheet2!$C$2:$C$5,"Y")>0,COUNTIF(Sheet2!$C$2:$C$5,"R")=0),"Y")

And this become the "Else" of the formula for condition 1

Condition 3

=IF(COUNTIF(Sheet2!$C$2:$C$5,"R")+COUNTIF(Sheet2!$C$2:$C$5,"Y")=0,"G")

Which becomes the "Else" part of the now combined Condition 1 and Condition 2 formula.

Now the combined condition 1,2 and 3 formula becomes the else part of:

Condition 4
if all cells in the range are G/green, display Completed with green background in cell 2b on worksheet 1.

=IF(COUNTIF(Sheet2!$C$2:$C$5,"G")=4,"Completed",all that stuff that went before)

Giving us the big messy formula:

=IF(COUNTIF(Sheet2!$C$2:$C$5,"G")=4,"Completed",IF(COUNTIF(Sheet2!$C$2:$C$5,"R")>0,"R",IF(AND(COUNTIF(Sheet2!$C$2:$C$5,"Y")>0,COUNTIF(Sheet2!$C$2:$C$5,"R")=0),"Y",IF(COUNTIF(Sheet2!$C$2:$C$5,"R")+COUNTIF(Sheet2!$C$2:$C$5,"Y")=0,"G"))))

Apply conditional formatting for the colour effects

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocbudda

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back