Evaluation & ranking based on multiple numerical values - THEORY question

mzza

Board Regular
Hi,

apologies this is a little vague, but I have been tasked with creating a matrix in Excel which will be used to rank and prioritise a list of potential projects. Each project will have a number of attributes which will be independently assigned a numerical score. The intention is to apply formulae to these scores to come up with an 'objective' priority order for said projects. Some attributes will have greater weight than others.

1) should this be as simple as applying different scales (e.g. 1 to 3 vs 1 to 10) for different attributes? Or would it make more sense to give every attribute the same scale (1 to 5 say) and then apply a multiplier based on its intended relative weight? What are the pros and cons of each method?
2) I guess more broadly, has anyone approached a similar problem and have some advice/tips/examples?
3) broader still, I tried to research the theory behind this problem in order to make my own call, but my google-fu has failed me (I'm not sure how to phrase the question). Any articles/theory anyone could point me towards would be very appreciated.

TIA

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
To answer points 2 and 3. I think what you want is some form of Decision Matrix. If you google 'applying weightings to evaluation criteria' you will get a decent set of hits on relevant material.

I found this via that method: free decision matrix

Upvote 0
You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back