Event when using a dropdown button (data Validation)

mark hansen

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I'm trying to see if I can trigger code when I hit a drop down arrow on a data validation box. It seems the Private Sub Worksheet_Change event triggers after I have selected from the data validation. Is there an event triggered when I click on the data validation drop down box.

Here is what I'm trying to do. My workbook is large and it takes about 4 seconds to recalculate, down from 7 seconds after I reevaluated what I'm doing. I'm using a data validation box, with formulas on another page to shorten a list of user to pick from... That part works well, it the recalculation that slows things down. I really only need the configuration sheet to recalculation to pick up the first few characters from the entry, so the formulas can build a short list to display in the drop down box.

So far I have used Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange to turn off automatic calculation when I enter the cell, then I hoped to have just the configuration sheet recalculate to build the list when I click the dropdown arrow. Once I leave the cell I use Private Sub Worksheet_Change to turn auto calculation back on.

Can I do this?

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hanakoro

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back