Events in Line chart

911Dispatcher7

Office Version
  1. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a sheet with lots of data. Dates and call volume numbers, etc. As my username suggest, I am a 911 dispatcher so this workbook is all about COVID. I have made several line charts to show this years call volumes compared to last years. Now I want to add to this chart events. Say on Fab 1 businesses were closed, on march 1st something else happened, etc. This will help to show why the call volumes changed. I added a column to the data table to enter these events. What else do I need to do to get the events to show up on the line chart? I tried to add the new column as a new series and set it as a secondary axis but did not get the results I was looking for. I want the actual event to appear in the line chart on the date it happened.

Thanks for any and all help.

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
Hi, try this approach.
Like you did make a dummy dataseries of the events. Put the event label in the cell on the correct date.
Then label the datapoints where the date matches the events. Use label from cell value and select accordingly from the dummy range.
It will depend on your Excel version whether or not it is possible.
Else use a custom format of the values on the event dates like "event". Then add labels. The text from the custom format should appear while the real value under the format is still plotted.

PS: Keep up the good work and spirit to fight the covid.

Upvote 0
Thanks for those suggestions. I can't say I recall exactly what I did to make it work, but your suggestions was extremely helpful. I think what I was missing is when I added the event Data Series I did not add the Horizontal Axis Labels. Once I did things started falling into place.

Here is my current end result.

Capture.JPG

Not too bad for being Excel self taught by trial and error.

Thanks again.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back