exactly how 'dumb' can a GUI front end be

joeq

Board Regular
Hi All,

over the past million years or so, I've developed a series of 5 worksheets that relate to each other via hyperlinks and such.

I've always intended that the user would have to know 'someting' about excel to naviagate around them and enter data.

Recentely, Ive started to consider putting a GUI front end on it and allow the user to use the 5 spreadsheets but through the window of a GUI somehow - hoping then that not as much EXCEL knowledge would be needed by them.

At a high level I would like to this with as little new code as possible - somehow retaining all the functionality of the original sheets, just somehow having the user "deal with them" through the GUI window.

Does anyone have any general ideas about the feasability/practicality of this?

In other words when the users clicks the GUI to say "let me see this chart" - I could use some new macroed code that would copy and past the chart from the old sheet to the GUI window

Any thoughts would be appreciated,

thanks, Joe

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
One of the nice things about Excel is it is flexible enough to do things like that. I wrote an application for the center I work in several years back that required just that. We have several hundred employees at any given time in my center that use that application. The vast majority of these employees are severly computer challenged.

The more "user friendly" you make your application the more work you will be required to put into it up front.

This forum offers a good amount of tips and techniques from previous posts to help you out in that endeavor.

Upvote 0
I find that it's better to train ppl on usage rather than create a better mouse trap.

If you build it, they will find ways to f it up.

Upvote 0
I agree Todd. If its at all feasible or practical its a much better idea to train the group of folks that will be using Excel.

Without question there is no such thing as "dummy proof" when it comes to programming. There is always that "someone" that will find that one thing that no being with the capacity for sentient thought and opposing thumbs would ever consider doing.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back