Exactly HOW secure is Microsoft Access?

infrequentcoder

Office Version
  1. 2021
  2. 2019
  3. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I am very curious in comparison between Access and Excel the security differences in each. Without the advent of quantum computing, I understand getting into a binary excel file that has a 255 character password is nearly impossible. However, in contrast, ACCDB is clearly not binary format - nor does there appear to be a binary option available. Exactly how easy is it to breach the security of a password-protected Access file? Why would Excel support greater security measures than its database counterpart?

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
AFAIK, if you password protect an Access db and lose the password, you might as well forget about ever opening it. There are/were services that for a fee, claimed to be able to find at least part of the password by looking at the binary data in a certain portion of the file but no guarantees. IMO once open, Access security can be fairly robust in terms of what poking around people can do and look at, but it takes some work. Not sure if Excel can match that.

Upvote 0
AFAIK, if you password protect an Access db and lose the password, you might as well forget about ever opening it. There are/were services that for a fee, claimed to be able to find at least part of the password by looking at the binary data in a certain portion of the file but no guarantees. IMO once open, Access security can be fairly robust in terms of what poking around people can do and look at, but it takes some work. Not sure if Excel can match that.
Thanks. Is there documentation available to support that the database password is masked via binary format within the accdb file?

Also, can you please elaborate on what the robust security does for those who are poking around once the database file is open?

Upvote 0
Hopefully jackd's link will provide the info you need. I don't know what you mean by binary format as it's not the format of the file I was referring to. IIRC, the password is part of the file data and they only way you can read it is via a hex editor, or something like that. Beyond my area of expertise.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back