Excel 07 - Barcode Scanning with auto entry of current date and a constant number - Please Help

Station18

Hi - I am looking to create a record log in Excel 07 by scanning in various barcodes with one of the scans triggering an auto entry of current date in column A and a constant data in column F. Seven columns total with indefinite amount of rows.

My current setup: I can scan six columns with barcodes and have to manually enter current date (A column), then tab over to column B and continue scanning the remaining columns. I "unlocked" (Format/Protection) the seven (A-G) columns and protected the sheet. This allows me to return to the first (A) column after my last scan. Column six (F) is a constant entry was also wondering if this can also be automatically entered. I do not want any future scans to overwrite any previous data as some items may eventually return again.

My desired outcome: When I scan in column B (persons name) I would like for the current date to auto enter in column A and a fixed entry "4500 PSI" auto enter in column F. Then I would continue with the remaining scans. Challenge will be to not overwrite Column F. If this can't be done that I am open to moving Column F into column B and sliding remaining columns over. Any ideas and suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

Sample:
DateName of Person FillingCylinder Serial NumberManufacture DateHydrostatic Test DateFinal Cylinder PSIBreathing Air Source
10/29/2014Greg DoeALT- 245098040604064500 PSIUnit 25
10/29/2014Greg DoeOK 169824040607114500 PSIUnit 25
10/30/2014John Sammy4500 PSI

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
Hi Station18
Welcome to the forum, you could always use the inbuilt function of excel, form
to add to your tool-bar,
go to excel options
customise
show all commands
search down to the command "form"
add to your tool bar
save, restart excel
select all the columns you want
then press the form button on the tool-bar, a pop up box will appear, you can then scan your data in their, it will put it in your sheet

Upvote 0
Thanks so much Pup! I will try the inbuilt function and let you know how it turns out.

This is my first time posting, but the forum has been great. There are other threads that have helped or guided me in accomplishing other situations. I'm very appreciative of people like you that respond with ideas or different avenues, as I'm no expert in excel ~ Only an average user!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Honeymonster123

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back