Excel 2000 and 2003

Tazlady34

Board Regular
At my job about 200 of the employees have office 2003 and the other 150 have excel 2000. If I have an excel worksheet, how can i protect all but 5 of the collumns where 5 of my collumns allows the user to modify but all of the others are read only and that they would be unable to change.

Some will open and use this in 2000 and some will open and use this in 2003. I need to make sure there is no way to make any changes to the protected ones. I saw the one option on file permissions but not sure if we will be able to use that option.

Can you point me in the right direction

:confused:

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
Select the cells to unprotect, and then take off the "locked" option in cells, format.

Then set the sheet protection (format menu).

BTW - You're not related to Tazguy r u?

Upvote 0
Hi

This may not be what you want to hear but from what I've seen/read you're not really going to be able to 'protect' your worksheet apart from to casual/inexperienced users - if you're looking for a way to make it so that people cannot change certain elements at all then it may be worth while investigating delivery alternatives for the elements that you don't want people to change - depends on the payoff (what it's worth to stop people tinkering against the time taken to implement it). Search the forums for protection etc and you'll see lots of posts about stopping people doing things when they shouldn't (and probably just as many posts telling you how you can change things you shouldn't if you really need to).

Like I say - depends on how 'secure'/un-tinkerable (yup - just made that one up!) you want your data/formula to be.

Martin

Upvote 0
Thank you

Thank you to everyone who helped with this post and others I have posted....This site is awesome and when things arent busy at work I try to read the posts and try to learn more things...

and nope, not related to tazguy... :wink:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharmarick

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back