EXCEL 2000 Bible (Bible S.) Book | John Walkenbach

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
Hi

I wouldn't have thought so given that it covers everything to do with Excel (not just VBA) so it might be a good starter, but won't provide sufficient depth. If you're after a *great* VBA starter, then i think John's other book Excel VBA Programming For Dummies is extremely hard to beat.

Richard

Upvote 0
I dabbled for a couple of years without really being proficient and to be honest, it's only been in the last 21 months that I've been learning 'properly' if you like.

I do find it very difficult to just read a book and learn: I need to have a reason for doing so, which started off being development work here at my work. I thoroughly enjoy learning new stuff with VBA, so I guess the joy of discovery is now what's fuelling my learning.

Hope this goes some way to answering your question!

Richard

Upvote 0
Yeah, thanks for your reply...

I have only just started out and would really like to expand my very basic knowledge, but I think it will take quite a bit of time for me to get to grips with it all..

Thanks

Upvote 0
My best advice, other than the books (Walkenbach's are great), would be to play with the macro recorder doing everyday repetitive tasks, then analyze the code and see what it does and why.

And learn to get rid of Select statements and screen navigation, which are probably the two most wasteful things that the recorder generates.

HTH,

Smitty

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spamiki

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back