Excel 2003 crashes on "save" or "save as"

CHATTAX

Today is 05/22/2018. I just noticed this problem yesterday. I am running Excel 2003 on a Lenovo machine running windows 10. I have a 2 page work book containing lists. Workbook is stored on a external hard drive attached to my machine. Not networked. No other access. No formulas. No macros. No links. The only formatting difference used is a single column in each worksheet that is formatted for "date" (MM/DD/YYYY). I was updating the workbook yesterday when excel simply crashed. No error message, no warning, it just crashed and all that was showing on my screen was my desktop. Re-open the workbook, and, of course, the changes have not been saved.

Checking the folder where the file is stored, I found that it had saved a new file to the folder. The new name was 7314D410). It was not an excel file, but opening it in either excel or word, what I could read of the data (most of it appeared to be machine-language) indicated that it's the first page of my original workbook.

I've tried "save as" renaming the workbook. Same result. I copied the data to a new spreadsheet. Same result. Interestingly, If I divide the workbook into two separate workbooks (one page each), it will save the changes and not crash.

I've run C-Cleaner to erase any temporary files I might have had. I've dumped the new files (7314D410, etc). I'm stuck. Anybody got any ideas?

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ruhulaminappu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back