Excel 2003 - Maximum Percentage formula...

adamdc20

Hi everyone - huge thanks in advance to anyone that can offer some assistance with this problem.

I have a 6x5 matrix with a series of data in it. It is as simple as this:

Row 13: 0 1 2 3 4
Row 14: 0 1 2 3 4

and this is repeated over for 6 rows. The figures in each cell can increase or decrease (dependant upon another multiplier elsewhere).

I need a formula to work out a % total for this data - but I really need each row to only contribute an equal amount (16.6r or 100/6)and when it reaches that maximum for it to contribute no more. (i.e - if rows 14, 15, 16, 17 and 18 are all 0 - I want the maximum that can come from Row 13 to be 16.7%)

If I simply SUM this data - I could potentially end up with 1000% total (if the figures increase then so will my % total) which would defeat the point.

I hope this makes some sense to someone and you'll be able to help. Please question me if it is not clear.

(Doubt it matters but I'm using Excel 2003)

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
So for example, assuming your data starts in column A, the formula for row 13 would be:

=MIN(SUM($A13:$E13),SUM($A$13:$E$18)/ROWS($A$13:$E$18))

Does that do what you want?

Upvote 0
Thanks very much for the swift response.....

it may be doing the right thing - you wouldn't by any chance be able to explain what it is doing?

Thanks again

Upvote 0
=MIN(SUM($A13:$E13),SUM($A$13:$E$18)/ROWS($A$13:$E$18))

SUM($A13:$E13) - gives you the row total
SUM($A$13:$E$18) - gives you the grand total
ROWS($A$13:$E$18) - divides grand total by the number of rows (in case you need to change it)

MIN takes the minimum of the two values.

Upvote 0
Iliace - that does work to some extent so thanks very much for that!

One further issue that I have is that once I have calculated this for each row, I then need to SUM these figures to calculate an overall percentage for this area.

What I need to do is limit this so that it doesn't go over 100% - regardless of what figures are in each of the cells.......(almost to put an upper limit on each row?)

i.e - if cell A13 increases to 100 - I don't want this to mean that my final percentage goes to something like 114%.....I need to limit the impact of that row.

Is that possible?

Thanks ever so much in advance of your help!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdnMech

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back