Excel 2003 org question

Strider119

Hi, any help I can get with this would be much appreciated. I'm not good with the VB stuff but I figure it's the only way to do this.

I have a ton of data in two columns. First colum is a name, which is irrelivant to the problem, second column is a zip code.

What I need to do is to be able to tally up how many people are in a certain zip code. Is there any way Excel to read colum 2 and count how many individual points of data there are? Like something that can just feed into other cells and say "there are 345 entries for zipcode 00001 and 221 for zip code 00002 ... etc"

There is a lot of data too. At a cursory glance, there are 60 to 250 for each zip, give or take. Too many to count individually.

Again, I apprecaite any tips that I can get. Thank you.

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
It wont feed into a cell like your requesting but it sounds like Subtotal using Count rather than SUM should get you the info you want??

Im sure one of the others can write a macro to do eactly what you want

Upvote 0
Yeah Count was what I was going to do if I can't find an easier solution. The only problem with count is that I have to manually go through and break each group of numbers up and then set the individual parameters. Wouldn't be a big deal, but I'm looking at 19400 rows on just the first sheet ... and I've got a couple of these sheets to go through.

I was just hoping a macro wizard would know a solution that could get a row to read itself and put it's tally for each unique zip code in a new row or somewhere else. It's an odd request and it seems like it should be easier than it's actually turning out to be.

Upvote 0
What makes you think you need to go through all the data?

Just select it and goto Data>Sub totals...

MInd you the data would probably need sorted to do that properly.

Otherwise you could use a pivot table with Zip as a row field and Count of Name as a data field.

Upvote 0
What makes you think you need to go through all the data?

Just select it and goto Data>Sub totals...

MInd you the data would probably need sorted to do that properly.

Otherwise you could use a pivot table with Zip as a row field and Count of Name as a data field.

I thought I would have to clean up the mountains of data a little more. I mean it's still a little haphazard but it's much more managable now. Thanks for your help.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peterhess2002

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back