Excel 2007 Create a Pop Up Alert if limit is exceeded

KJ2607

Hi!

I'm creating a spreadsheet to calculate the total travel time between various destinations - I have already set up conditional formatting so if the total travel time exceeds 2 hours for example - the cell will turn red.

What I want to do now is create an alert that will appear when the 2 hours are exceeded informing the user not to proceed.

I've done some looking online and while there is a lot of topics surrounding this I cant seem to find quite the right answer to my query - Is VBA my only option as I am relatively new to this (although learning something new everyday!) :)

Thanks in advance

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
Hi!

I'm creating a spreadsheet to calculate the total travel time between various destinations - I have already set up conditional formatting so if the total travel time exceeds 2 hours for example - the cell will turn red.

What I want to do now is create an alert that will appear when the 2 hours are exceeded informing the user not to proceed.

I've done some looking online and while there is a lot of topics surrounding this I cant seem to find quite the right answer to my query - Is VBA my only option as I am relatively new to this (although learning something new everyday!) :)

Thanks in advance

No, VBA is not the only option.
You can use Data Validation to spawn alert messages.

Try this...

Select the cells for which you want to show the error.
Then
Menu: Data/Data Tools/Data Validation

On the Under Settings tab:
Allow Decimal
less than or equal to

On the Input Message tab:
Un check the "Show input message when cell is selected"

On the Error Alert tab:
Check the "Show error alert after invalid data is entered"
select the Style you prefer [Note: Different styles have different buttons for user input]
Give it a Title and Error Message

OK

Upvote 0
That's excellent Thanks!! :)

I've now split my columns up into days so I have a journey start time (cell A1), journey end time (cell A2) for monday , and then a journey start time (cell A5) and end time (cell A6) for Tuesday and so on. I need to have a 12 hour break between the end time on Monday and the start time on Tuesday and if there is less than 12 hours, the alert message will appear.

Where does the formula go?

Upvote 0
I spouted off too soon.

Data Validation won't pop on calculated cells, only user entry; and time calcs are different as they convert to the decimal portion of the difference between date/time, so a 12 hr period is .50 in Excel terms.

Soooo, vba may be the way to go for an alert/pop-up.

Upvote 0
KJ,

It would be best if you put all your requirements together before asking for assistance, as well as provide an example of your spreadsheet or the desired result so that we have something to visualize. That way, you don't waste someone's time.

Hope this helps you understand.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rik81h

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back