Excel 2007 Dashboards

Joe Galvan

Board Regular
Hi All,
Can anyone direct me to a website where I can learn how to create an interactive dashboard? I have been searching for a step by step tutorial, but I keep running into information that only shows some of the steps and not the background work.., I would like to input options for my executives to choose from, such as choosing a YTD or monthly view when looking at sales.

thanks for your time...

JOE

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
Joe,

I also have been searching for information on creating dashboards.

Just a little while ago I was at a local Borders Bookstore and glanced at the index on Excel Charts & Graphs for Excel 2010. In the book, MrExcel (Bill Jelen) said that Charlie Kyd was an excellent source of information on dashboards. Charlie Kyd also has an ebook on how to create dashboards. The cost is approximately $30.

Here is a link to Charlie Kyd's website:
http://www.exceluser.com/intro/four-report-mistakes.htm

I plan on purchasing the ebook myself.

Hope this heps you out.

Upvote 0
I'm in the maintenance step of an interactive executive dashboard I built myself. I've been supporting the system for approximately two months now, and honestly, browsing this board gave me 90% of the support I needed to complete the task.

For mtd, ytd, dtd measurements, I've been using a data validation dropdown list, setting the list to be YTD,MTD,DTD, then:

SUMIFS(Sales[SumOfSalesAmount],Sales[TransactionDate],CHOOSE(MATCH($F$1,{"YTD","MTD","DTD"},0),">="&DATE(2011,1,1),">="&DATE(2011,MONTH(TODAY()-1),1),">="&TODAY()-1),Sales[TransactionDate],"<"&TODAY())

Since my data dumps every night, I can only look back from yesterday, but I think you get it.

Of course if there's a better way, I'd love to hear it.

Upvote 0
http://cws.internet.com/article/4045-5538.htm , I found this website in my hours of research yesterday... It shows you how to set up a basic dashboard, and it is really easy to apply the logic to any set of information you may have. check it out...

thanks again guys for responding. . . i will definitely check you out the avenues you have provided.

JOE

Upvote 0
I would defo recommed Xcelsius for dashboard work...i have been working on for a cpl yrs and it produces stunning results. Very visual and is fed by excel spreadsheet and fantastic for an iteractive module to show visual datasets instead of reams of data.
You can then import into powerpoint for an instant presentation.

Defo has the wow factor and well worth the licence fee.

Google xcesius dashboard examples or u tube xcelsius

google datapig technologies and have a look at xcelsius examples.really good site.

Hope this helps.

regards
ian

Upvote 0
I use Xcelsius for work and frankly, the restrictions on the data feeds and number of formulas is unduly burdensome. It's great for static data you want to copy-paste from excel, but at $500/license, I'd expect something with dazzling functionality.

Upvote 0
maybe...i think at the price of licence it does provide dazzling functionality...if u need more professional feeds you can upgrade and utilise crystal reports.thats why they have different licence choice.

for many, providing an alternative way of displaying reams of data, xcelsius does the trick, well in my own opnion anyway. and seems to have quite a good client base.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thietbibeboiwasaco

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back