Excel 2007 linked to Access 2007 query pulls default of query formula instead of correct answer

dhdata

Hello - first post here.

I have a spreadsheet in Excel 2007 that is pulling from a query built in Access 2007. The formula in the query reads:

RetireElig: IIf([age]>=65 And [ServiceYrs]>=10,"65 & 110",IIf([age]>=60 And [ServiceYrs]>=15,"60 & 15",IIf([Age]>=55 And ([age]+[ServiceYrs])>=85,"Rule 85","Not Eligible")))

When I run the query in Access, I get a myriad of (correct) returns for my population of 3,400 employees. When I export it into an Excel spreadsheet, I get all the same (correct) data. However, when I use my linked Excel spreadsheet refreshed data, the entire column shows only "Not Eligible."

I have a couple other fields in my query that have similar formulas and Excel pulls the data just fine... for instance:

Generation: IIf(Year([VW_EmpHistData_DWTARGET_DW_PS_EMPLOYEE_DIM].[birth_date])<1925,"pre-Silent",IIf(Year([VW_EmpHistData_DWTARGET_DW_PS_EMPLOYEE_DIM].[birth_date]) Between 1924 And 1943,"Silent",IIf(Year([VW_EmpHistData_DWTARGET_DW_PS_EMPLOYEE_DIM].[birth_date]) Between 1942 And 1961,"Boomer",IIf(Year([VW_EmpHistData_DWTARGET_DW_PS_EMPLOYEE_DIM].[birth_date]) Between 1960 And 1982,"Gen X",IIf(Year([VW_EmpHistData_DWTARGET_DW_PS_EMPLOYEE_DIM].[birth_date]) Between 1981 And 2004,"Millenial",IIf(Year([VW_EmpHistData_DWTARGET_DW_PS_EMPLOYEE_DIM].[birth_date]) Between 2004 And 2018,"Homelander","UPDATE FORMULA"))))))

So far, I have tried the following:
  1. set the column to text in Excel and refreshed
  2. set the column to be Plain Text in Access, then opened Excel and refreshed
  3. changed the default value from "Not Eligible" to something else - Excel spreadsheet refreshes and pulls new default value

Any other ideas?

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
your rules do not encompass all possiblilties.
Instead of an IIF field, I would change the query to a UNION query. (which has 5 queries)

select *,"65 & 110" as Note from table where [age]>=65 And [ServiceYrs]>=1
union
select *,"60 & 15" as Note from table where [age]>=60 And [ServiceYrs]>=15
union
select *,"Rule 85" as Note from table where [Age]>=55 And ([age]+[ServiceYrs])>=85
union
...etc

but I still think your ranges are double dipping.

Upvote 0
thanks Ranman ... I am still pretty green and do not know what a Union query is, but I will research and try.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
visheshkotha

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back