Excel: 2007 // Question: Is It Possible to Set an Animated Gif as a Worksheet Background and If So How?

Eli Kent

Greetings all,

Introduction: This is my first post here and I doubt it will be my last as I am trying to take my Excel knowledge and abilities to another level and I feel that I will at least occasionally not find the answers I seek anywhere else (as I try to help myself first) and thus will probably have to return here a few more times.

I am no expert on Excel and I never went to school for it so I may not understand all terminology and most of what I do is probably being done in a far more complicated manner than it should (especially given I have NO knowledge of VBA whatsoever so any answers involving this need to be dumbed down for me and very specific) but it works so far and I only share this background so you know what kind of a mess you'll be dealing with if you're ever so kind and/or bold enough to attempt to help me out from time to time.

Explanation: Recently I decided that for a particular project I am working on that I wanted to add a background to the worksheet. I figured it out (wasn't hard since there's literally a button that said "Add Background" on the Page Layout Tab of the ribbon I think it is called so even I could figure it out lol) and I was very pleased with my new found "power" and proceeded to look for something to replace my test image with.

I'm pretty decent with Photoshop and ImageReady7 and I already had an idea as to what I wanted my image to do. I created and image which is a pair of eyes sort of blended in to a surrounding that blink. So I go through the steps to make the animated and optimized gif my background only to discover the eyes do not blink in Excel.

As much as it pains me, this actually makes sense to me and probably actually saved the life of my worksheet as the background repeats itself and I am sure that repeating an animated image would probably result in Excel wanting to hire a trained assassin to kill me.

But I wants what I want. I come here in hopes that I can get what I want and if possible, have it to where Excel won't want to plan my untimely demise out in spreadsheet form.

Problem/Question: Is there a way, to make my animated gif the background of my worksheet and have it function properly and if so, how do I do it?

Keep in mind, I only know how to make animated gifs and cannot save my animations in any other format while still having them function.

Alternative and Additional Question: I don't need my background to repeat throughout the whole worksheet and would prefer if it didn't, but I do need the animated image to be behind the cells and the cells be fully functional.

Is there a way to insert the image behind, say about 1260x600 worth of cells without affecting the other cells outside of my view and maybe even lock movement of the sheet so a person can't scroll past a set range of the sheet?

A Word of Thanks: I thank you all in advance for any assistance you may provide. Heck, I thank you for simply taking the time to read all this and I apologize in advance if my post was in some way improper.

Regards,

Eli

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
Hello again. I figured since it has been close to 48 hours, this thread should be clear for a bump. Thanks to all of you who have at least viewed my dilemma here.

Hope I can at least learn if what I would like to do is even possible.

Thanks again,

Eli

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back