Excel 2007 spreadsheet gets error "Excel cannot open the file .xlsx.." How can I "uncorrupt" this file

xaverkahl

Hi,

After a power outage a particularly important file gets the error "Excel cannot open the file.xlsx beacause the file format or file extension is not valid. Verify that the file has not been corrupted and that the file extension matches the format of the file. The file format has not changed. Is there a safe free program that can uncorrupt a file? I have tried Open and repair, changing the format, and using open office. Also tried using recova but the file was not lost.

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
do you autosave, you might have a backup on the system, if the original was being saved when the disk crashed don't think thats ever going to recover, though a temp might be viable

Upvote 0
Guide below must assist you, if not make use of https://repairexcel.recoverytoolbox.com/ Recovery Toolbox for Excel

1. Open Task Scheduler (tap Windows Key -> start typing "task scheduler", press enter/click on it when result is at top of Start Menu).
  2. Click Action -> Create Basic Task
  3. Give it a name and click Next
  4. Select "When I log on" as the Trigger
  5. Select "Start a Program" and click Next
  6. Type "Powershell" in the Program Name, then
  7. in the "Add arguments (optional):" box, type "% {Copy-Item -path C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\ -recurse -force -destination D:\Backup\ExcelAutosave}" (changing the username to your username obviously, and also modify the destination directory if you want), then click Next
  8. Then tick the box "Open the Properties dialog for this task when I click Finish", then click Finish.
  9. Under the "Triggers" tab, double click the "At log on" trigger, then tick the box "Repeat task every:" -> select an interval (i have 1 hour) and duration (i have 12 hours), make sure "Enabled" is selected, then click OK, then OK on the properties box.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back