Excel 2007 vs Excel 2003 - Dilemma

cedricthecat

Having recently moved to Vista following the demise of both our XP laptop and XP PC, we've also started to use Office 2007 (after taking advantage of an extremely good offer available to people working in the NHS, Education etc) We previously had Office 2000

I don't really like the new applications, as I am not a fan of the ribbon. However, having said that, I'm quite happy with Word as I never really use this to do anything complex, and I actually like Outlook more now

The problem is with Excel. I'd got used to 2003 and more or less knew my way around it. 2007 on the other hand is (to me) a nightmare - I don't know where anything is! A bigger issue however, is that at work we are still on 2003 and a lot of what I do has to be used at home, then back to work, then back home etc. I know that you get the option to save in the old format from 2007, but I'm getting some sheets that are warning me that features will be lost, and others that are telling me I have to save in the new format

I gather you can get a "conversion/compatibility pack" or such like, but the bottom line is I really, really want Excel 2003 at home. The problem here is finding something I can afford! I don't want the whole suite, but can't find Excel on it's own

Does anyone know if there's anywhere I can get just Excel, or a good deal on the full suite, or any other advice?!

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
You can get an ex-corporate OEM version of Office 2003 Pro from Amazon for about £49?

Upvote 0
The problem is with Excel. I'd got used to 2003 and more or less knew my way around it. 2007 on the other hand is (to me) a nightmare - I don't know where anything is!
I am still fumbling my way around a little bit too, as we just recently converted. One thing that does help, though, is if you remember the keyboard shortcuts from 2000 and 2003, they still work in 2007! So you may be able to use those to bring up some of those things you can't find.

Upvote 0
Good tip! I've also got an add-on installed that gives an extra menu which is like the "old" one (although a lot smaller)

Still got the issues over the formats though, and differences in things like Conditional Formatting etc...

Upvote 0
I'd be surprised if you can get Excel on its own for much less than that! Just remember to uninstall 2007 and then install the earlier version followed by 2007 again. Things don't work well otherwise...

Upvote 0
I'd be surprised if you can get Excel on its own for much less than that! Just remember to uninstall 2007 and then install the earlier version followed by 2007 again. Things don't work well otherwise...

Sadly, I'd be surprised too!! :(

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
b1step2far

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back