Excel (2007) Web Query data -- how to stop annoying script errors in the built-in browser?

d0rian

Office Version
  1. 365
When I click the Data...From Web option in Excel 2007, it launches an internal "browser" that I'm supposed to use to navigate to the site that I want to grab data from. The problem is that this built-in browser uses MSN.com as its default "home" page, and it generates several (sometimes 5+) script error pop-up windows (see screenshot below) that I have to manually close before I can type the desired URL in the browser's address bar.

Can I disable these error popups? Or maybe change the default home/launch page?

(Excel's built-in browser doesn't seem to be a full, feature-rich browser like Chrome, IE, Firefox, etc) so there's not a full Options menu where you can set a home page...)

rE8kqYL.jpg

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
Bumping in case anyone has any ideas. Was surprised that a google search of this error / issue turned up hardly anything since it's something that has happened on every computer on which I've launched the Excel 2007 Web Query tool...the default MSN home page ALWAYS generates these popups...would have thought others would have griped about it before but a search didn't find much...

Upvote 0
I have managed to change the default page that comes up when I start a web query, however since I did this when Excel 2007 was the latest version over 10 years ago, I can't actually remember what I did. I will have a look around see if I can work it out.

Upvote 0
I think I have worked out how to do it.
I don't use internet explorer as my defualt browser. However I opened internet explorer and then reset the home page to a different page, I thne started a new query in Excel and bingo it starts on the new home page. So I thin all you need to do is change the Home page in Internet explorer.

Upvote 0
Ha, this worked! Didn't think Excel's built-in browser would have any relationship to the preinstalled IE app but i guess it does, thanks:)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back