Excel 2010 and Powerpivot, get external data from a data feed

renigar

To start I'm new to powerpivot and don't know enough about what it can or can't do. So please let me know if I'm on the wrong path here. The scenario: I have a workbook where I need to update one sheet in the workbook with customer data everytime I open it (I've named the sheet Data_Feed). I have installed the Powerpivot addin for Excel 2010 and it seems to work fine. I have been able to get the data I want into Powerpivot with either a url to an rdl file or an atomsvc file (both ways work). I've read numerous web pages but have not found an answer to my question. I want to have powerpivot update the data on the Data_Feed sheet in my workbook when I open the workbook. What I'm having trouble with is how do I link the worksheet Data_Feed to the Powerpivot table and have the Data_Feed worksheet updated. I feel like I'm close but missing some key bit of information.
Thanks, renigar

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
I may have looked at that already but I'm not sure or I didn't know what to do. I'll be back at work next week and have another look. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Example

dmrefresh.jpg

it works for me, I don't remember how it works for 2010 with PP add-in

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sandy666,
I've already had the properties set as in your example. I still don't see how I get the data from the powerpivot table to copy to the excel worksheet automatically. Do fields have to be mapped from one to the other? If so, how?

Upvote 0
if you have Pivot Table created so each time you open file it will refresh data from the source with new data if it was changed, if not it doesn't make sense to refresh.

Upvote 0
I had moved the data to a pivot table, and the data in powerpivot would update but not the pivot table. Thanks for your time on this but I've given up on this approach for now. Just going to export data from SSRS reporting service into excel file. I've written a macro to do the rest of the data manipulation. I like to make it work but have spent to much time on it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back