Excel 2010 data validation drop-down list disappears

BiTurbo228

I'm having a rather perplexing issue with data validation lists on excel 2010 intermittently disappearing/breaking after a file is saved and reloaded.

Every now and again after saving and closing my workbook, one or more variants of my drop-down lists will break. The arrow to select the list is still there, but no list appears when it is clicked (or an entirely blank list appears).

Initially, I had a backsheet with lists that the data validations on each tab referenced. After saving and closing, sometimes a validation list would lose it's 'Backsheet!' reference and keep the cell references, just on the same worksheet resulting in a blank list.

I next changed all my validation lists to be on the same workbook as the list itself in hidden columns. Unfortunately, every now and again a list would break again. It would seem to either lose half of the cell references resulting in an abridge list, or lose the references entirely and just having '=REF!' in the validations box.

Next, I tried to do the most basic validation list possible and manually enter the acceptable inputs into the data validations box like so: 'Please select,1,2,3,4,5' etc. That seemed to work for a while, but I've just opened it again and the same issue as above has just happened.

I'm using Excel 2010 and re-opening on 2010. The files are saved and loaded from a shared work drive. I'm saving as a .xlsx file, and I've tried saving as a .xlsm file to no effect. Display objects is ticked to appear. No macros on the spreadsheet. I've tried opening and repairing which doesn't restore the missing drop-downs.

Only thing I haven't yet tried is copying everything over to a brand new workbook which I'd like to try and avoid as it's a massive thing!

Help!

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
Welcome to the forum.

Are you sure that nobody else uses the file, perhaps with an earlier version of Excel? Also, do you ever save the file with multiple sheets selected?

Upvote 0
Thanks Rory :)

The spreadsheet's in the design stage at the moment so it's only me that ever touches it (no-one else even knows where it's filed!). I don't think I've ever saved it with multiple sheets selected. I've jsut tested that and it doesn't seem to have broken anything.

Upvote 0
It's not an issue I've heard of, so I would have to suspect your workbook has some corruption.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JPav

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back