Excel 2010 display issue - large grey bar appears at top of spreadsheet

RobWelton

I have a user who is somehow creating a huge grey bar at the top of her spreadsheet where the formula bar, etc. are located. I have tried and it is not that she is dragging the formula bar to make it larger as I cannot grab the resize handle and make it go back to normal. I have a screen shot of what it looks like here:

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AvUDuSFdDR0Tdy-yevuiAZDKPZE

Once this starts to happen, the area of grey will sometimes grow as she works until there is only a couple of rows of cells left. Closing and reopening the file doesn't always fix it. I am at a loss to explain how this is happening, and all I get when I ask them is 'I don't know, I am just trying to work in Excel'. She swears she just opens a file and every once in a while this starts to happen. I can open the same files on my computer and I see none of this. I can't figure out if it is something she is doing or if there is something in the file that causes this, but since I never seem to experience this issue I don't think it is the file.

I have tried resetting Excel preferences, did a repair install of Excel, completely removed and reinstalled Office 2010, and finally completely rebuilt her laptop. Rebuilding the laptop seemed to fix the issue for a few days, but now it is back again.

Has anyone out there ever experienced anything like this before? I have searched but cannot find anything.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
Re: Excel 2010 display issue - large grey bar appears at top of spreadsheet - RESOLVED

So after some more testing and searching and simply trying various things I found the answer. The user had the preview pane turned on in Windows Explorer. As soon as we turned off the preview pane, the issue disappeared. If we re-enabled it, the problem returned.

:eek::eek:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kenyanscott

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back