Excel 2010 does not recognize vba functions such as date and time, left etc

Son

Hi, I have a workbook that has about 35 modules. The problem is that my wb is made in excel 2003, and works fine in excel 2007, but in excel 2010 I get the message of compile error in hidden module 1 etc. When I debug, I get error at the point that I have :

Code:
range("A1") = Dat
range("A2") = Time
range("A1") = left(range("A1"), 2)

The code breaks in various modules, some of which begin with "option explicit" and some do not. I have not been able to research the issue further because my wb is protected and I don't have excel 2010 in my pc, I can just try to use my colleagues' computer for a short while.

I would really appreciate any of your ideas on this because more and more of the users of the wb want to upgrade to excel 2010 and i'm afraid I will not be able to support this.

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
Hi there,

Occasionally I've run into this. Preface it with "VBA.", so "VBA.Date()", or "VBA.Now()"

Upvote 0
vba. ? ok, i'll try and let you know, thanks!
But what about left(xxx, 1) it also breaks on this! Any thoughts?

Upvote 0
Same thing. They're part of the VBA object library, as opposed to the Excel object library. When you're in the VBE hit F2 to view the Object Browser. In the top-left corner you can select the drop down to view one of the loaded libraries.

Upvote 0
great! Now I understand! I did not know about F2 and the libraries. I will try it out tomorrow and let you know! thanks!!!

Upvote 0
Very welcome. :)

I'm not sure the reason that's caused and a lot of times a restart will fix it. I'm not sure if it's references or what, but it is good practice to reference your objects more explicitly.

Upvote 0
hmm, what do you mean i should reference objects more explicitly?

And also, now I'm thinking that i have various other functions such as index/match, max, round etc. I have introduced them with application.worksheetfunction or simply worksheetfunction. I am not sure that excel 2010 won't break there, i will have to try it and see. Do you have any suggestions on when I should use vba. before a function and when not?

Upvote 0
So doing things like prefacing your functions in VBA with "Application.WorksheetFunction" is what I mean, specifying the object containing that method or property. It's like when referencing a Range object, you should always reference its parent, or Worksheet object, and when working in multiple workbooks you always need to reference the Worksheet's parent, or the Workbook object in which it's contained. That's what I mean by explicitly referencing objects. That way there's no room for error (read: assumption).

I'd use "VBA." preface for any function/routine you're calling from that library, for instance all of the VBA functions (as opposed to those in the WorksheetFunction list of methods, which is a different library). Examples would be Left(), Right(), Mid(), Replace(), etc. There are VBA functions as well as WorksheetFunction's (functions). Make sense?

Upvote 0
... but in excel 2010 I get the message of compile error in hidden module 1 etc. When I debug, I get error at the point that I have ...
The problem does not have to be related to the version of the XL2010, but with references to the used libraries. Check in VBE menu Tool/References. See if there are items that start with MISSING.

Artik

Upvote 0
There are VBA functions as well as WorksheetFunction's (functions). Make sense?

I think that's the thing that troubles me now, how to distinguish between the two kinds of functions and which library each function belongs to. But I will try to do as you say and let you know. Thanks again.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back