Excel 2010 - How create ribbon icon to open other docs?

Finney1

Hello,

I've been recently converted from 2003 to 2010. In 2003, I used to have 3 Open icons that were hyperlinked to 3 docs I used daily. To do this, I had to...
1) Right click on toolbar, choose Customize
2) Drag the Open icon to toolbar
3) While Customize window was still open, I would right click on the new icon and assign a hyperlink
4) Find the doc
5) Change the icon name and button image
6) Close out of window.

I can't figure out how to do this with the 2010 ribbons. Anyone out there that can help?

Thank you!

:confused:

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
Finney1,
There are ways to create new ribbons and icons; however, I have not explored the option yet. There may be an easier way to open your documents without creating icons.

Starting in Excel 2007 and continuing in Excel 2010, there is a recent files list. In 2010, click on the "File" tab at the top of the screen and then click on the "Recent" option on the far left of the screen.

You will see a list of recent Excel files. Look to the right of each file and you will see a "push pin". Click on it and it makes the file go to the top of the list(s) and it will stay permanently on the Recent Workbooks page. You will always be able to open your file(s) from here.

Best of luck,

Charles

Upvote 0
Finney1,
There are ways to create new ribbons and icons; however, I have not explored the option yet. There may be an easier way to open your documents without creating icons.

Starting in Excel 2007 and continuing in Excel 2010, there is a recent files list. In 2010, click on the "File" tab at the top of the screen and then click on the "Recent" option on the far left of the screen.

You will see a list of recent Excel files. Look to the right of each file and you will see a "push pin". Click on it and it makes the file go to the top of the list(s) and it will stay permanently on the Recent Workbooks page. You will always be able to open your file(s) from here.

Best of luck,

Charles

Charles,

Thank you...that works and is much, much easier than making macros! I am beholdin'....

:)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andyg666

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back