Excel 2010 Pivot Table Column Lables & Report Filter Help

Carin

Board Regular
I have two pivot tables that feed off of the same data.

Pivot1: I have four column labels: 1, 2, 3, 4

Pivot source data column E has either a 1, 2, 3, or 4

My Row Label are cities in the area - so the pivot will list the city and tell you many of 1, 2, 3, or 4 there are in the source data.

Problem - if my source data does not contain one of the choices: let's say 2, then the Column labes read 1, 3, then 4. Everything seemed reasonable until the next month's report had a 2 in it. My Column Label still read 1, 3, and 4. I have to select the Count of City Name dropdown and check the number 2. Then my Column Lables are sorted like this: 1, 3, 4, then 2.

Is there a solution to this?

Pivot2: I have a pivot table for each number listed above: 1, 2, 3, and 4. Pivot1 just gave a count per city and Pivot2 actually shows the data that is being counted. When 2 was missing from the data, my pivot table that is filtered to only show 2 now shows ALL. Once I received my new monthly report, I had to select the report filter dropdown to select 2.

Is there a solution to this?

Thank you

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
Well, figured out a workaround and thought I would post in case someone came across my post and needed some kind of a fix. Since I could not figure out how to manipulate the pivot table itself, I wrote a SIMPLE macro to add a 1, 2, 3, and 4 at the end of the data source.

Range("e1").End(xlDown).Offset(1, 0).Select
ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "1"
ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "2"
ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "3"
ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "4"

Now when there is no data containing any one of the above numbers, the labels and filters stay in place because there is a blank record containing either the 1, 2, 3, or 4.

Upvote 0
Not sure if this will solve your problem, but it maybe worth a try. Right click on the label and select field settings. Then click on the layout and print tab. Then click the check box beside "Show items with no data".

Upvote 0
Thank you so much for responding. I did try that. When I first saw that checkbox I was so excited only to find out it didn't do anything for this situation which made me wonder what it is used for??
Again, thank you. :)

Upvote 0
Thanks for the feedback. Not sure why it did not work in your specific situation. I have used this method many times.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back