Excel 2010 Ribbon - Is there a way to show active cell value on the ribbon?

KC Cat

Hello,

I used to use a "technique" to add a row at the top of a busy worksheet with a really large font to display the currently selected cell contents. For example, maybe on a vendor contact list sheet with many columns of data that I wanted to see all at once, which made finding and re-finding phone numbers while dialing very difficult. This top row (typically cell A1), would allow me to find a phone number, for example, with the data zoomed out (so the text is really small), but have A1 large enough to read easily when turning away from the monitor to dial the number, and turning back and see the number, etc. This "technique" eliminated zooming in and out. This is the code I used in the worksheet module:

Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Excel.Range)
'place code on worksheet to replicate active cell value to specified cell (A1 in this case)
On Error GoTo ErrorHandler 'prevents nuisance error if user clicks the 'Select All' button
    Range("A1").Value = Target.Value
ErrorHandler:
End Sub

This served me well, but with the advent of the ribbon, I am wondering if there is a way I could accomplish the same thing without "burning" the top row of ANY worksheet? What I envision is a text box that would constantly return the active cell value right on the ribbon (kind of like how the Font Size command box works to show the font size of the active cell - only I would like my text box to be 2/3 times as tall - want it really big to accomplish what I'm after).

Thanks in advance for any help!
KC Cat

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbonilla0331

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back