excel 2010 (ryzen 7 pro 4750g 16GB RAM vs ryzen 5 3500x 32GB RAM)

sid2020

Office Version
  1. 2013
  2. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi Guys,

Could you help me figure out this scenario.
I have an excel file with macros in it (size 11MB) that i run in 2 desktop pc's.
1) ryzen 5 3500X Game boost enabled, B450 tomahawk max, 32GB RAM 3200mhz
2) ryzen 7 pro 4750g, b550 tomahawk, 16GB 2400mhz

the result is opposite of what I expected. The ryzen 7 pro 4750g is slower by almost 50% ( 12 mins vs 8 mins). I haven't figured out why. both are same excel 2010 32bit and run in maximum threads (16 vs 6).
so far what i have done are:
1. disable game boost in the ryzen 3500x pc to see if that had much impact. the result is not much, just around 1 min.
2. equal both ram to 2400mhz. not much impact either.

Thanks in advance.

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
Check the task manager to see what's running in the background. You can also look at the Performance tab while your macro is running to see where the bottlenecks are. What does your macro do? That could have a major effect. Anything that does a lot of reading/writing from/to the worksheet, or moving, formatting, inserting items on the worksheet are generally slow and could take more time, especially if the memory is fragmented from previous programs. That would require Windows to do a lot of memory swapping. If you're doing calculations based on data in the spreadsheet, you can often rewrite the macro to read the data in one shot, save it to internal arrays, process it from the arrays, then write the results in one shot, and significantly speed up your macro.

Upvote 0
Check the task manager to see what's running in the background. You can also look at the Performance tab while your macro is running to see where the bottlenecks are. What does your macro do? That could have a major effect. Anything that does a lot of reading/writing from/to the worksheet, or moving, formatting, inserting items on the worksheet are generally slow and could take more time, especially if the memory is fragmented from previous programs. That would require Windows to do a lot of memory swapping. If you're doing calculations based on data in the spreadsheet, you can often rewrite the macro to read the data in one shot, save it to internal arrays, process it from the arrays, then write the results in one shot, and significantly speed up your macro.

Thanks Eric for the suggestion.
For PC1) Ryzen 5 3500X, at idle CPU is at 2%, memory is at 9%,, when running the excel CPU is at around 45%, memory increased just slightly to 10% (additional 210 MB from the excel)
For PC2) Ryzen 7 Pro 4750G, at idle CPU is at 1%, memory is at 17%,, when running the excel CPU is at around 39%, memory increased just slightly to 19% (additional 235MB from the excel)
What can I deduce from these? I did not see an obvious bottleneck to my naked eye.

The workbook is heavy on calculations, but the macro itself is just simple. It just automates a bunch of inputs, the formulas in the workbook re-calculates, then the desired results is compiled and then it just loops. The compilation of results is already done in arrays and the calculation is already placed at optimal locations to save time. But regardless if the macro is coded efficiently or not, I was expecting that the ryzen 4750g would be faster.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Nothing obvious jumps out at those specs. The only guess I'd have is that the Ryzen 5 has twice the RAM, meaning potentially less swapping.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back