Excel 2011 for Mac - Import XML?

digitalformula

Hi all,

Can Excel 2011 for *Mac* import an XML file? I know the Windows versions have been able to do it since Excel 2000 and earlier but the Mac versions seem to have this functionality removed.

Can it be done? If so, how?

Thanks!

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
As far as I'm led to believe Excel2011 for Mac is pretty much the same as Excel 2007 for Windoze. That being the case look in Data>>Get External Data>>From Other Sources>>From XML Data Import.

Upvote 0
As far as I'm led to believe Excel2011 for Mac is pretty much the same as Excel 2007 for Windoze. That being the case look in Data>>Get External Data>>From Other Sources>>From XML Data Import.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the quick response. I wish that were the case, though. Excel for Mac 2011 doesn't have that option (although it does have the Data menu containing Get External Data).

Nothing under there mentions XML ...

Upvote 0
Did you ever find an answer for this? I'm looking for a way to import XML files into Excel 2011 for the Mac and can't find anything.

Upvote 0
Did you ever find an answer for this? I'm looking for a way to import XML files into Excel 2011 for the Mac and can't find anything.

No, I didn't find an answer, unfortunately. I asked Microsoft through their twitter feed (they have responded to other questions in the past) but received nothing about this.

I'm assuming at this point that it can't be done - to me that makes Excel for Mac pretty much useless.

Upvote 0
That is about opening the new OpenXML formats, not importing XML data into an Excel workbook. The two are quite different.
AFAIK, there is no support for importing XML in any version of Mac XL as there hasn't been the call for it.

Upvote 0
That is about opening the new OpenXML formats, not importing XML data into an Excel workbook. The two are quite different.
AFAIK, there is no support for importing XML in any version of Mac XL as there hasn't been the call for it.

Which, to me, is the stupidest reason ever to leave out a function that pretty much forms the whole basis of an application designed for data analysis and manipulation.

Excel has tools like 'Solver' etc and yet we can't import data from what is probably the most commonly used export format? Microsoft majorly missed the mark on that one. In my opinion it makes Excel for Mac almost useless.

Upvote 0
To you, yes. To the vast majority of people that use Excel, it is completely irrelevant.
The vast majority of Excel users don't use 80% of the program's functionality, yet it's all in there. Microsoft obviously thought XML import was of general enough interest that they included it in the Windows version of Excel, so they don't really agree with you. I don't agree with digitalformula that Excel for Mac is "almost useless" without XML import capabilities, but it's a big oversight on Microsoft's part, particularly because most of their enterprise applications speak XML. Also, Mac users tend to be more on the technical side (anecdotally; most of the people I know use Windows, but most of the developers I know use Macs), so you'd think the Mac version would be the one to have XML import.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CantExcel123

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back