Excel 2013 - Bing Map Customization

bs0d

Curious if anyone has customized the Bing Map Add-in for Excel 2013?

I'm not finding much information on the net. From my observation, you cannot use VBA to manipulate the map. Instead, I believe JavaScript is used via HTML file (somewhere).

At any rate, here's what I'm looking to do:

• If using Lat/Long as the location, also be able to have a text label for the name (instead of the lat/log numbers).
• If mapping multiple data points, be able to set the focus / default / (select) one of the data points so that the data label is displayed.

Thanks,

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
I very much doubt you can. As I understand it, you've essentially just got a frame embedded in your worksheet that is pointed at a website, you've no more control over the bing maps control than you would on any website (less so in fact). I think you're going to be out of luck here, that said if you know javascript, it shouldn't be too hard to write your own version

Upvote 0
I'm sure you're right due to the limited amount of data I have found available.

It seems having the mapping capabilities without the customization is misleading.

But if I understand you correctly, you can write one in JavaScript and embed it into your spreadsheet? Would your items need to be hard-coded or can the JS read the workbook sheet contents? Thanks Kyle123

Upvote 0
Sort of, apps for office are really just websites with a JavaScript API that allows them to interact with the workbook. So you can create your own app fairly easily - it's pretty straightforward, eaxactly what you are wanting to do will dictate how complex your website needs to be, but there are some good tutorials out there to get you started.

Upvote 0
Sort of, apps for office are really just websites with a JavaScript API that allows them to interact with the workbook. So you can create your own app fairly easily - it's pretty straightforward, eaxactly what you are wanting to do will dictate how complex your website needs to be, but there are some good tutorials out there to get you started.

Thanks Kyle123

Any chance you could point me towards a few of them? So far I'm just finding articles where people install the bing app in Excel, rather than creating one from scratch. Also, a Google map may be more ideal. Thanks again

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back