Excel 2013 Hangs/Freezes sorting cells that are conditionally formatted

pedhed

<article>
I am using Excel 2013 and have the issue of Excel keeping on freezing/hanging when working with a sheet that has more than say a thousand rows of information.

The current spreadsheet I have problems with works with is populated by 36,475 rows of information across a number of columns with ‘work-order’ numbers.

There are two columns that have the work order numbers in and I am firstly highlighting the two columns and then applying the conditional formatting to highlight duplicate work orders.

Excel begins to freeze when I then a data filter to just show the duplicate work orders.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to stop this happening?

I have disabled add-ins and also 'repaired' office but the problem persists.
</article>

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
Conditional formatting can cause slowdown issues if it gets too complex.

Highlight the full range and check your conditional formatting rules and make sure you don't have a lot of duplicated rules. If you do you may just need to clear your conditional formats entirely and rebuild them.

Upvote 0
Conditional formatting can cause slowdown issues if it gets too complex.

Highlight the full range and check your conditional formatting rules and make sure you don't have a lot of duplicated rules. If you do you may just need to clear your conditional formats entirely and rebuild them.

Asala42 thankyou. I had checked the rules etc.

The solution I found was to copy the information/cells to a new worksheet/book.
Note when I copied the sheets I copied only the relevant cells and not the whole sheet which would have included the 'blank spaces' below my workings or to the right of my workings.

Upvote 0
Here is the solution I found for this issue. Worked for me.

[FONT=&quot]" It appears that I was using the Home/Editing/Sort/Filter menu and was not able to get it to keep from hanging. After doing some online research, a recommendation for another issues put me on the path to use the Data/Sort/Filter menu. While they appear to be the same, using the drop down from a field header gives a different (and complete) set of menu selections. I did not get the hangs when I used these menu options. "[/FONT]

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arbind kumar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back