Excel 2013 Locking Up When Trying To _Print

Flash2017

Hey all,

I have this strange issue with some of my Excel files. Whenever I try to print from excel, it will lock up when selecting the "Print" section under "File." Once it's at the printer settings, it will say "Looking for printers" at the printer selection menu and the entire excel sheet will lock up and will not respond until the window is minimized and reopened via the taskbar (as the buttons in the top right do not function when this occurs) . Once reopened, the program resumes and it recognizes the printer and will print with absolutely no issues. All other office applications print perfectly fine with the printer and do not lock up. This strange issue only applies to one printer, though. The printer I am having trouble with is an HP LaserJet Enterprise 600 Printer M601 series and was connected via the network until I changed it over to a USB connection while attempting to troubleshoot this issue.

I have 3 other printers connected to the computer that I use on a regular basis to print various things. When setting the default printer to any other printer except for the HP printer, it will load up just fine and print with absolutely zero issues. However, as soon as the HP is set as the default printer, Excel will lock up whenever I attempt to print.

The computer I am using replaced an old Windows XP machine that had Office 2003. It's a brand new desktop running Windows 7 and Office 2013 Pro Plus. The workbook files are Office 1997-2003 files copied over from the XP machine.

I have tried to the following fixes and none of them have succeeded:
  • Using the files in Compatibility Mode
  • Converting them into newer file formats
  • Repairing Microsoft Office
  • Uninstalling and reinstalling Office (trying both 32bit and 64bit versions)
  • Updating the printer driver
  • Reinstalling the printer driver
  • Disconnecting the printer from the network and hooking them together via USB
  • Installed printer drivers using PCL5
  • Installed printer drivers using PCL6

I am honestly out of ideas as to why Excel would be locking up like it is for no particular reason when I try to print from my HP printer. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back