Excel 2013 Memory Leak

fred3

I'm experiencing an evident memory leak with Excel 2013 (32) running on Windows 7 64 with 16GB RAM.
I've been developing some (what I hope are) simple vba modules.
Under normal circumstances, the system memory utilization is around 2.5GB with Excel running.
But, from time to time, the memory utilization gets up to 14.5GB or more and there's apparently nothing to be done about it.
It doesn't show that Excel is using it but the evidence of the correlation seems clear; this only happens when I'm working on the vba project.

I have read about earlier versions of Excel using ADO.

I've tried memory managers / cleaners (subject to wide disagreement re: effectiveness or need) and there's not much change in memory use.
Quitting Excel does nothing to help.
Only rebooting fixes it.

I have read: BUG: Memory leak occurs when you query an open Excel worksheet by using ActiveX Data Objects (ADO)
BUG: Memory leak occurs when you query an open Excel worksheet by using ActiveX Data Objects (ADO)
..but I don't really understand if/how this might apply as I'm not intentionally using ADO and this is 2013 and not 2000 nor 2002.

What is the best way (other than rebooting) to deal with this?
With Microsoft what is the best way to report an apparent bug in Excel?
[I'm sure I don't start by suggesting that Excel is a buggy piece of s**t, do I? ;) So, no, I won't and don't suggest that!!]
etc.?

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
post your errant vba between code tags on here (If excel is processing something that could cause it to spike) it could be the OS holding the memory in case you re run the vba

Upvote 0
Also, can reproduce the error on other PC's? With the same or other OS / Excel / hardware, and so on.

Upvote 0
I don't know how to duplicate the problem. I am working away and the machine gets to be very slow and then I notice that the memory is nearly all used up. This isn't the only thing I'm doing with the computer all day long. But, it only happens when I've been working on this vba project .. and then not "on command" or all of the time.

As I said, the modules are pretty simple but too much to tag inline code methinks. How do I upload the files?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back