Excel 2013 tool bars have no icons displayed

teachman

Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening

When I first opened a blank workbook and clicked on the Developer Ribbon and then on the Visual Basic icon, the VB interface was displayed but only with the top main menu (File, Edit, View, etc.) and three blank tool bars. See screenshot

This is the first time I've tried to add an image to a thread post. So, I don't know if it worked.

I'll try more descriptive way just in case.

The first line in the open VB Editor is the Main Menu with the words File, Edit, View, Insert, Format, Debug, Run, Tools, Add-Ins, Window, and Help.
The next line is what appears to be a short tool bar with three vertical spacer icons and when I pass the cursor over where icons should be I get FlyOver popups like - Design Mode, separator bar, Run Macro , Break, Reset, separator bar, Toggle Breakpoint, Step Over, Step Out, separator bar, Locals Window, Immediate Window, Watch Window, Quick Watch, Call Stack then the icon for Tool Bar Options.

The next line shows a tool bar that starts with the Excel Icon, then the drop down menu for inserting UserForm, Module, Class Module, and a lot more blank icons with the last one Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications Help and ends with the icon for Add Remove Buttons.

The next line shows a short tool bar labeled Project - VBAProject. I don't recall ever seeing this one before.

I've tried clicking the View menu commands Toolbars option and I get a pop up with Debug, Edit, Standard, UserForm choices arrayed in a column. With a check mark next to Debug and Standard. But, when I move the cursor over either of those check marks the check mark disappears.

When I click on one of the drop down menu options like, Debug - even though the check mark is gone- by clicking on it, it makes that tool bar go away. When I click on the Edit option (which did not have a check mark) that tool bar is displayed - but with no icons.

I've closed and reopened Excel several times. Same behavior. I've rebooted (Windows 7) several times. Same behavior.

Anybody know what the heck is going on?

Thanks,

George Teachman

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
Have you used the "Repair" option from the application management (Install Remove) ?

Upvote 0
That was my next, hesitantly taken, step. I was hoping that others would recognize what I had done and how to fix it.

Thanks,

George Teachman

Upvote 0
Broken menu's just too bothersome not to use Repair. (Been there. Done that.) I've broken menu's in Office and the VBE with application crashes and forced reboots. :LOL: But I'm getting better at knowing when this 32-bit system won't handle what I need and use my 64-bit (work vs personal)

Another tool Microsoft has for situations is the OffCAT. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...onfiguration-analyzer-tool-offcat-information

Upvote 0
Well, that's an hour or so of my life I won't get back. I tried repairing Office and VB Editor tool bars are still blank.

I'll go look at the OffCAT and see what I can find.

Thanks for the info.

George Teachman

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Moo4247

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back