Excel 2016. Control-Taaaaaabbbbbbbbbbb!!!! Noooooooohhhhhhhhh!!!!

taigovinda

I poked around online and couldn't find the answer (only others facing the same problem with no solution), but I'm hoping against hope there is one...

Control+tab and control+shift+tab used to allow navigation between workbooks in an (in retrospect) incredibly predictable fashion. Now, in 2016 version (maybe it started in 2013), it does random stuff. Sometimes takes me back and forth between just two workbooks, out of more than two open, sometimes takes me to other applications that are not Excel. This is the number one reason that I ever use the keyboard when I'm on Excel.

The best I could come up with is alt-w, w. This requires a lot more thought/effort than control+tab ever could have dreamed of. Maybe that's why I didn't find anyplace online where anyone bothered to mention it.

Is there a good way to stay mouse-free when navigating between workbooks in Excel 2016?

Thanks!
Tai

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
CTRL + Tab works fine in 2013 !
Good luck....the web has no help.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the encouragement Michael. I guess I never had the '13 version, because I definitely would've noticed.

Maybe a macro could be used to fake it. Assign next workbook macro to control+tab hot keys and previous workbook to control+shift+tab... I'm not sure how to write it though, if there is an easy way.

It would probably take me hours to google it all and piece it together to trap the workbook activate event in all workbooks, keep track of which ones had been visited or not and iterate through them in the proper order - and then I'm not sure I would succeed :p

Anyone reading this who is skilled enough to do this?

Thanks!!
Tai

Upvote 0
This was posted about alt-tab a while ago, not sure if it helps:

https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel...t-working-excel-when-multiple-books-open.html

Thanks. Alt-tab does also do different stuff than I would like - this is because Excel 2016 no longer has the option to untick "Show all windows in the taskbar"... I was very used to having it un-ticked and control-tab cycled thru Excel while alt-tab cycled through programs (Excel being only one of them and always taking you to the active book). You would never have hit alt-tab in past and cycled from one workbook to another one that is open in the same session, but now I always do. Another annoying thing... glad that guy got it to do what _he_ wanted!

Upvote 0
i'm still using excel 2007 and didnt know about ctrl+tab previously. it's pretty handy, thanks

Upvote 0
Try
Ctrl+F6

M.

Hi Marcelo,

I tried ctl+F6 and it records the same code as what is recorded by ctr+tab. So far, I have had predictable behavior with both since making this post (they never take me to a different application and always cycle back and forth through Excel books) so I'm not sure if they work differently on my machine... but either way it's a nice change from always being unexpectedly cycled (eg wkbk1, wkbk2, otherapp, wkbk1, other app, wkbk1, wkbk2, wkbk1, other app, wkbk3, wkbk1, wkbk4...). I will keep testing it. Thanks!

Tai

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back