Excel 2016 - Missing Excel work with no explanation (no crash, etc.). WHAT HAPPENED?

LisaDavis

First, let me start by saying for thelast 10 years I have worked primarily in Excel. I have literally spentthousands of hours in Excel and never had anything like this happen before...
Yesterday, I was working in Excel and had 3 files open. I was no longer using file A so I wanted to save and close it, but there were a couple circular references in there. I fixed those errors, updated all open workbooks (F9), and confirmed there were no more circular references. When I switched back to files B and C, where I had been working for the last hour and a half or so, I immediately noticed about 20 or 30 minutes of work was missing.
Please note:

• I use autosave - every 4 minutes
  • The files did not crash, glitch, stall out, or in any way give any indication that there had been a problem
  • The file did not revert to the last time it was saved, and I did not lose all my work
  • I could pin point the point at which it stepped back to because there were a couple cells on a tab with data that I had not entered. I had made a change in a particular cell from 0 to 4, and it (and oneor two cells in columns to the right) but it had been updated to something like 986,XXX. Everything before I changed the cell from 0 to 4 was still in the file, and everything from that point forward was gone -- as if it never existed
  • The missing work was across multiple tabs and in two different workbooks
  • No tabs were deleted (still in the file with all work done before X point in time), but everything I had added or changed was gone
  • There were no actions to step back/undo
I have never seen work disappear in an instant like this. I have lost data tons of times due to crashes or files locking up, but other than the fact that I was missing some work, I couldn't even tell that there had been an issue.
I checked my RAM (showing 8GB installed at the time) and confirmed with IT this morning that my laptop only has 8 GB of RAM - so none is missing. The IT Tech manager had never seen anything like this either and suggested it might have been something outside Excel (such as a Microsoft system update running in the background) that caused the issue.
His only solution is that if it happens again, they will have to build me another machine, but I would really like to know what happened. Have any of you experienced anything similar or ever heard of this? Any ideas what happened?

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
Of all 3 files, the only code I have is on one tab of onefile. This is the one file where I was not missing updated data/work.

Sub UnhideAll()
Columns.EntireColumn.Hidden = False
Rows.EntireRow.Hidden = False
End Sub

Sub HideRows()
Dim cell As Range
For Each cell InRange("A2:A61")
If NotIsEmpty(cell) Then
Ifcell.Value = 0 Then
cell.EntireRow.Hidden= True
End If
End If
Next
End Sub

Sub HideZeroColumns()
Dim cell As Range
For Each cellIn Range("B1:BS1")
Ifcell.Value = 0 Then
cell.EntireColumn.Hidden = True
Else
Ifcell.Value = "" Then
cell.EntireColumn.Hidden = True
Else
cell.EntireColumn.Hidden = False
End If
End If
Next
End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ajax40

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back