Excel 2016 not recognising custom date format

Woolnut

Hi All,

I am having some issues with getting Excel to recognise that the data in one of my columns is actually a date, but is formatted as DAY, 01/01/2019. I have created a custom format for the column, which is ddd, dd/mm/yyy but this doesn't appear to have helped...

I don't want to reformat the column as the data is being pulled from an RSS feed via Power Query, so any help in getting this column to be recognised as a date would be great as i need to be able to sort by date on it :)

Thanks in advance

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
Welcome to the forum.

It sounds like your dates are actually coming through as text (formatting the cells won't affect the type of contents), so you'll need to parse the column in PQ to convert it to an actual date value.

Upvote 0

I am looking at the Editor right now and have changed the column to date, which has left most of the cells with an error.

I've added a step to remove the DAY part of the cell, using the split column by delimiter which has left me with a basic date format of 01/01/2019. This is still giving me errors when i change the column to a date format, but not as many.

Strange... Any other ideas? :)

Upvote 0
Is there a leading space in that column perhaps?

Upvote 0
Doesn't appear so, I have bodged my way round it now so i can filter properly. Thanks for the help

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back