Excel 2016 Only loads certain files if 'dummy' file is open already

Status
Not open for further replies.

pleeseemailme

Board Regular
Howdy,
I have been running a number of processes at my company for years now (many were made possible from contributions from this community - thank you). I now have a new issue with files crashing Excel when loading into memory. The trouble is, it's not every file and its not every time. I was hoping some of you could help me troubleshoot this so I can at least know what questions to ask Google, or a forum or something. Here's what I know:

1. The files that do crash all have either a power query or MS query built in to it (not sure if that's relevant, but it appears to be the only consistency I can find.)
2. these files won't crash if I have a simple, text only, file open first
3. The files do not corrupt, but show up the autorecover window, then open fine after that
4. No macros are triggered upon opening these files.
5. No one else in the company that uses the same spreadsheets seem to have this issue, just me. Leading me to believe that the error is with my machine. This is what is most confusing, because we have been running office 2016. Last week I asked IT to upgrade me to Office 365 but this did not solve the issue, although it did reduce the frequency at which it happens.
6. The only thing that I can think of that's different on my machine vs others is that my personal macro workbook as some more modules stored in it than most other users - not sure if this is relevant but probably worth mentioning

Any help you could offer in asking guided questions would be most helpful. I don't even know how to ask google or a forum a direct question to try to solve this. Thanks so much

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
visheshkotha

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back