excel 2016 - SUMIFS with a criteria within a data set

RCBricker

I have a data set.

Here is the layout

Column B=Project ID
Column C=End date
Column D=Line type
COlumns E-* = months of the year(s)

I need to summarize this data below the data set.

example below uses Project ID 375

So each project ID will have three lines.

First line for our example would start on row 5, row four is our overall column headers.
Starting in B2 and moving right

B5-B7=375
C5-C7=*end date*
D5= "Stage" This will have three possible entries one for each month. (all projects have all three)

E5-G5 = "Funded" - this is the first of the three possible entries
H5-J5= "Unfunded" - This is the second of the three possible entries
K5 - K*= "Recompete" - This is the last of the three possible entries.
D6="Revenue" - One of two possible monetary designators (all projects have both)
D7="Cost" - second of two possible monetary designators (all projects have both)
E6- E*=various monetary values (These are the values for Revenue)
E7- E*=various monetary values (These are the values for Costs)

E8 - J8 = "Funded" - this is the first of the three possible entries
K8 - L8= "Unfunded" - This is the second of the three possible entries
M8 - M*= "Recompete" - This is the last of the three possible entries.
D9 ="Revenue" - One of two possible monetary designators (all projects have both)
D10 = "Cost" - second of two possible monetary designators (all projects have both)
E9 - E*=various monetary values (These are the values for Revenue)
E10 - E*=various monetary values (These are the values for Costs)

so in our example

E6 = 5000 (Revenue for project 375 in the month of Jan)
E7=2000 (Revenue for project 375 in the month of Jan)
E8= "Funded" (stage for the next project)
E9=12000 (Revenue for the next project in the month of Jan)
E10=3000 (Cost for the next project in the month of Jan)

The summary starts after the data set. The summary is all project revenues or cost added together and separated by whether it is funded, unfunded or recompete

In this example lets start on Row 15.

E15 starts the monthly headers.

C16-C18 = "revenue"
C20 - C22="Cost"

D16="Funded"
D17="Unfunded"
D18="Recompete"

D20="Funded"
D21="Unfunded"
D22="Recompete"

Starting in E16 and corresponding with the 6 rows directly above are where the summary of values take place. So not counting row 19 but E16 - *lastcolumn* row 22.

E16=17000 (total Revenue of Funded projects for Jan)
E17=0 (in this example since both projects are funded and as such no Unfunded)
E18 = 0 (in this example since both projects are funded and as such no Recompete)
E19 = is blank
E20 = 5000 (total Cost of Funded projects for Jan)
E21 = 0 (in this example since both projects are funded and as such no Unfunded)
E22 = 0 (in this example since both projects are funded and as such no Recompete)

TLDR:

I need a way to add values that match the following condition

Line type (column D)
Month (column Header)

last condition is the issue
Status (which is either funded, unfunded or recompete) which is found for each project within the data set itself.

Last edited:
Have you read through this question. you always seem to at least be able to point me in the right direction for a solution.
I tend to be a very visual person (I have a hard time picturing complicated or involved setups from just a written explanation).
So, I would be happy to take a look if I could see a visual image of how your data is structured, and what your expected output would look like.
(Just note that sometimes people try uploading files to a file sharing site, and I cannot download those from my work location).

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
Joe is not alone: I much prefer to see some sample data rather than having to reconstruct what is being described from scratch.

Upvote 0
Yes, another issue with trying to reconstruct it is that sometimes we make assumptions that do not accurately reflect your exact set-up.

Personally, I am unable to use those programs myself (my work has a very stringent policy when it comes to those things). I have resorted to using Code Tags (since it maintains spacing) and manually create an image. I keep going back-and-forth with "Preview Post" (in the Advanced Reply menu) to make sure it is readable before posting. It isn't the prettiest thing, but often gets the job done, i.e.

Code:
Name    Gender    Age
Adam       M      31
Barb       F      27
Carl       M      44

Upvote 0
WidgetLine TypeJanFebMar
125PhaseAAA
125CostX500050005000
400PhaseAAB
400CostX120001200012000
Line TypePhaseJanFebMar
CostXA17000170005000
CostXB--12000

<tbody>
</tbody><colgroup><col><col span="4"></colgroup>

so my basic issue is that the designator "A" is in the rows. The formula needs to find each instance of "A" and add the offsetting cells together (per widget). There are a number of widgets and there are actually two phases (Cost and Revenue) all are controlled by a designator. There are three designators ( "A", "B" and "R"). So we want to sum all widgets that are A, all that are B and then all that are R for Cost and then each of the three for all widgets for Revenue.

Only A and B are shown here to simplify the matter at hand.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OK. In your example, assume that all that is posted in ranges B4:F12.
So your totals are in cells D11:F12.
Copy this formula in cell D11 and copy/paste to the other 5 totals calculations:
Code:
=SUMIFS(D$6:D$9,$C$6:$C$9,$B11,D$5:D$8,$C11)
This returned the totals your example showed for me.

Note the placement of the absolute range references ($) is critical in these formulas.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OK. In your example, assume that all that is posted in ranges B4:F12.
So your totals are in cells D11:F12.
Copy this formula in cell D11 and copy/paste to the other 5 totals calculations:
Code:
=SUMIFS(D$6:D$9,$C$6:$C$9,$B11,D$5:D$8,$C11)
This returned the totals your example showed for me.

Note the placement of the absolute range references ($) is critical in these formulas.

****. I thought of sumifs but I never thought of offsetting the ranges when it was looking at total and for "A".

Upvote 0
****. I thought of sumifs but I never thought of offsetting the ranges when it was looking at total and for "A".

Ok when I apply this to a larger table it is not quite there.

WidgetLine TypeJanFebMar
125PhaseAAA
125CostX120012001200
125CostY250025002500
125CostZ500500500
400PhaseAAA
400CostX120001200012000
400CostY750075007500
400CostZ000
655PhaseAAA
655CostX225022502250
655CostY250250250
780PhaseAAA
780CostY410041004100
780CostZ600060006000

<tbody>
</tbody><colgroup><col span="2"><col span="3"></colgroup>

I should get this:

Line TypePhaseJanFebMar
CostXA154501545015450
CostXB---
CostXC---
CostYA143501435014350
CostYB---
CostyC---
CostZA650065006500
CostZB---
CostZC---

<tbody>

But this is what the formula gives me:

Line TypePhaseJanFebMar
CostXA154501545015450
CostXB000
CostXC000
CostYA410041004100
CostYB000
CostyC000
CostZA000
CostZB000
CostZC000

<tbody>

Upvote 0
Therein lies the danger of oversimplifying your example - you might get a solution that won't work for your actual structure because assumptions are used that don't reflect your real data. One piece of advice I often give people is do NOT oversimplify your data to the point where it no longer reflects the actual structure of your data, because this is what can happen.

My formula was based on the sample set of data you posted, in which there is an alternating pattern of Phase rows and Cost rows (so we could always look at the row above any Cost number to see what Phase it is to be applied to). However, in the second example you posted, there are now instances in which there are multiple Cost rows in a row, and it isn't always the same number (sometimes 2, sometimes 3).

The truth of the matter is that this structure makes it very hard to work with, and unfortunately I do not have a good solution for you.

Upvote 0
Therein lies the danger of oversimplifying your example - you might get a solution that won't work for your actual structure because assumptions are used that don't reflect your real data. One piece of advice I often give people is do NOT oversimplify your data to the point where it no longer reflects the actual structure of your data, because this is what can happen.

My formula was based on the sample set of data you posted, in which there is an alternating pattern of Phase rows and Cost rows (so we could always look at the row above any Cost number to see what Phase it is to be applied to). However, in the second example you posted, there are now instances in which there are multiple Cost rows in a row, and it isn't always the same number (sometimes 2, sometimes 3).

The truth of the matter is that this structure makes it very hard to work with, and unfortunately I do not have a good solution for you.

When you posted the sumifs I was excited. However, I was worried that more data might change it as it did. Well back to the drawing board. Thanks for trying.

*edit

What if it always had the same structure? So every widget would have Costx, costy and costz even if the answer was zero?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What if it always had the same structure? So every widget would have Costx, costy and costz even if the answer was zero?
Yes, we could work with that. We would just have three different sets of formulas, one for the CostX records, one for the CostY records, and one for the CostZ records.
So, if your data was in B4:F20, and the totals were in cells D23:F31, here are the formulas:

For CostX records (enter in cell D23 and copy to D23:F25):
Code:
=SUMIFS(D$6:D$18,$C$6:$C$18,$B23,D$5:D$17,$C23)

For CostY records (enter in cell D26 and copy to D26:F28):
Code:
=SUMIFS(D$7:D$19,$C$7:$C$19,$B26,D$5:D$17,$C26)

For CostZ records (enter in cell D29 and copy to D29:F31):
Code:
=SUMIFS(D$8:D$20,$C$8:$C$20,$B29,D$5:D$17,$C29)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mesh

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back