Excel (2019 and 365) not updating formulas, only when editing/entering cell

PeteWright

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Mobile
Hi everybody,

my Excel (2019 and 365, haven't tested 2016 yet) is not updating formulas, only when I enter (with F2) and save (with Enter) the cell.
As you can see in the screen capture, the formulas and conditional formatting are only updating when I manually update the cell.

What could be the reason for this? I already have automatic update for formulas enabled.

Any help appreciated.
Pete

Attachments

• Excel_not_updating.gif
    Excel_not_updating.gif
    188.6 KB · Views: 6

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
Assuming they are built-in Excel formulas, not UDFs, and if calculation is indeed set to Automatic, it would appear to be a glitch. I'd restart Excel.

Upvote 0
Assuming they are built-in Excel formulas, not UDFs, and if calculation is indeed set to Automatic, it would appear to be a glitch. I'd restart Excel.
Thanks for the feedback.
- They are built-in formulas
- calculation is set to Automatic
- I already restarted Excel several times

May the problem be caused by different Versions of Excel?
At work I use Excel 365, on my laptop at home Excel 2019 and on my home desktop Excel 2016.

The data inside the yellowish cells was pasted from a tab-delimited text file, where some columns are numbers and other are text-only.
So, may that be the cause?
Columns C to G contain the imported data, where G is Text-only.
The problem is, that everything updates only when "changing" cells in column G

Any ideas?

Attachments

• Animation.gif
    Animation.gif
    197.3 KB · Views: 6
Upvote 0
What are the formulas? It sounds like they are ones that ignore text and so it's not until you re-enter the numeric data that it actually becomes a number, and therefore the formulas update accordingly.

Upvote 0
J138 = IF( RIGHT(C138;2)="01"; SUMPRODUCT( 1 * ($B$5:B1137 = B138 ) * (RIGHT(C138;2)="01") ); "" )
K138 = IF( RIGHT(C138;2)="01"; SUMPRODUCT( 1 * ($B$5:B1137 = B138 ) * ($G$5:G1137 = "727") * (RIGHT(C138;2)="01") ); "" )
L138 = IF( RIGHT(C138;2)="01"; IF( G138="727"; SUMPRODUCT(($G$5:$G$1004="727") * ($B$5:$B$1004=B138) * ($F$5:$F$1004) * (RIGHT(C138;2)="01")) / K138; IF( LEFT(G138;3)="726";F138;"") ); "" )
M138 = IF( RIGHT(C138;2)="01"; IF( SUMPRODUCT( ($B$5:$B$1004=B138) * ($G$5:$G$1004="540") * 1); SUMPRODUCT(($G$5:$G$1004="540") * ($B$5:$B$1004=B138) * ($F$5:$F$1004) );"");"")
N138 = IF( AND(L138<>""; M138<>""); L138-M138; "")

Upvote 0
In that case I think it's the other way round, as your formulas are looking for "727" and not 727 as a number. Is column G formatted as Text?

Upvote 0
In that case I think it's the other way round, as your formulas are looking for "727" and not 727 as a number. Is column G formatted as Text?
column G is indeed formatted as Text.

Upvote 0
That would explain it then. If the values are currently stored as numbers, the formula will ignore them. When you f2 and enter, They are converted to text, which is what the formula is looking for.

Upvote 0
That would explain it then. If the values are currently stored as numbers, the formula will ignore them. When you f2 and enter, They are converted to text, which is what the formula is looking for.
Alright, thanks again!

I've tried a different method for "importing" the data.
Instead of just pasting it from clipboard I've just used the Text import wizard... aaand... it worked!

But why?
It should't matter whether I paste the data and format column G as text or import it and set the column to text in the wizard.

Do you have an explanation?

Upvote 0
Changing the format doesn’t change the data type. Importing as text does.

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back