Excel 2019 opens and runs extremely slow

ronanwild

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
I just got a new computer, fresh install with Windows 10 Pro, fresh Office install with Office 2019 and Excel runs extremely slow. No other office products react this way. (Word, PPT)

I have run through every option found on the internet to fix a slow running excel with no help. I have no add-ons (double checked they were disabled), disabled hardware acceleration, made sure Cortana was turned off, I have repaired Office, reinstalled office, Onedrive has been disabled, I don't know what to try next. Even starting in safe mode, Excel still runs so terribly slow, you can't hardly navigate the options menu.

This is 32bit Office.

And opening a new doc is the same. Extremely slow response, extremely slow buffer (typing until seen on the screen), and (Not Responding) in the top window bar comes and goes.

Please help, I use Excel all the time, and this is unusable in this state.

Windows 10 Pro
16gb Ram
4.2ghz CPU

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
Welcome to the forum. Please take a minute to read the forum rules, especially the one about cross-posting, and then update your post with the relevant links. Thanks. :)

Upvote 0
Thanks. :)

A couple of initial questions then:
1. What is your default printer (and does changing it make a difference)?
2. Do you have any File Explorer windows open?

Upvote 0
Thanks. :)

A couple of initial questions then:
1. What is your default printer (and does changing it make a difference)?
2. Do you have any File Explorer windows open?

1. HP Envy 110 series, and it's my only printer so I can't change it. I could remove it.
2. No other windows, browsers etc open. I can restart my computer and just try and start Excel with the same issues.

Upvote 0
You should have some built in options like Print to XPS so try setting one of those as your default?

Upvote 0
You should have some built in options like Print to XPS so try setting one of those as your default?

No luck. I even uninstalled the printer and it's software and Excel still is bogging down. :(

Upvote 0
I just got a new computer, fresh install with Windows 10 Pro, fresh Office install with Office 2019 and Excel runs extremely slow. No other office products react this way. (Word, PPT)

I have run through every option found on the internet to fix a slow running excel with no help. I have no add-ons (double checked they were disabled), disabled hardware acceleration, made sure Cortana was turned off, I have repaired Office, reinstalled office, Onedrive has been disabled, I don't know what to try next. Even starting in safe mode, Excel still runs so terribly slow, you can't hardly navigate the options menu.

This is 32bit Office.

And opening a new doc is the same. Extremely slow response, extremely slow buffer (typing until seen on the screen), and (Not Responding) in the top window bar comes and goes.

Please help, I use Excel all the time, and this is unusable in this state.

Windows 10 Pro
16gb Ram
4.2ghz CPU
I’ve been frustrated by this for a very long time and followed all the technical solutions posted on the internet and it still was taking over 10 minutes to open one of my .xlsm workbooks. Recently, I was able by hitting break many times to see that excel was trying to work on a named range that was a duplicate. Since I didn’t use any named ranges, my sheet must have become corrupted as I do have other workbooks that use webservices to interact with SQL and Sharepoint Lists. I may have inadvertently corrupted the worksheets in this workbook when it was open at the same time as those other workbooks. The named ranges were indeed referencing another project.

In the slow workbook, I had three worksheets and lots of VBA code and I found that once I rebuilt everything from scratch the problem went away. Here’s what I did to rebuild the workbook:

1. Once the slow .xlsm opened, I exported all modules and classes
  2. I then took a screen shot of the references so I could enable them in the fresh workbook
  3. Created a new workbook
  4. Created worksheets with the same names as my slow workbook
  5. selected/copied only the cells from the slow workbook that had data from each sheet.
  6. in the new workbook, for each worksheet, first paste special column widths
    then paste values. This should prevent the copying of the named ranges or whatever else was hiding in the slow workbook.
  7. If you had any workbook subroutines such as workbook open, copy the code from those modules from the slow workbook to the new workbook.
  8. In the new workbook import the modules
  9. In the new workbook import the classes
  10. Set the references (Tools->References) to be the same as the slow workbook.
  11. Save the new workbook (make sure its .xlsm)
When I opened the new workbook, it opened ‘normally’ in a few seconds.
A little cumbersome hack, but I hope that helps others. If I have time I will try to examine the slow workbook for named objects and see if there is a VBA routine I can write to diagnose the specifics that are causing this issue, but for now, I am happy with the hack that gets the job done.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back