Excel 32 or 64 Bit

JonRowland

Office Version
Platform
Windows
Hi,

Looking for some advice as just reinstalled MS 365 and noted that I now have 64 Bit version installed. I was always under the impression that 32 bit was preferred over 64 and wondered whether this is the case?

Plus do I need to update my VBA code?

Guidance and advice as always very welcomed.

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.

RoryA

MrExcel MVP, Moderator
Office Version
365, 2019, 2016, 2010
Platform
Windows, MacOS
It depends. If you don't use Office with particularly large files, you are probably better off with 32bit.

JonRowland

Office Version
Platform
Windows
As I thought. Think I was caught out with MS automatically defaulting to 64bit.

Aitch

Board Regular
Office Version
Platform
Windows
It depends. If you don't use Office with particularly large files, you are probably better off with 32bit.
Why is this the case - in what way is the 32 bit version better for smaller files?

RoryA

MrExcel MVP, Moderator
Office Version
365, 2019, 2016, 2010
Platform
Windows, MacOS
It’s not that it’s better with smaller files, it’s that it has better compatibility with other add-ins/apps generally so the recommendation is to only use 64bit if you need to work with very large files.

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alanacran

This Week's Hot Topics

• Timer in VBA - Stop, Start, Pause and Reset
    [CODE=vba][/CODE] Option Explicit Dim CmdStop As Boolean Dim Paused As Boolean Dim Start Dim TimerValue As Date Dim pausedTime As Date Sub...
  • how to updates multiple rows in muliselect listbox
    Hello everyone. I need help with below code. code is only chaning 1st row in mulitiselect list box. i know issue with code...
  • Delete Row from Table
    I am trying to delete a row from a table using VBA using a named range to find what I need to delete. My Range is finding the right cell. In the...
  • Assigning to a variable
    I have a for each block where I want to assign the value in column 5 of the found row to the variable Serv. [CODE=vba] For Each ws In...
  • Way to verify information
    Hi All, I don't know what to call this formula, and therefore can't search. I have a spreadsheet with information I want to reference...
  • Active Cell Address – Inactive Sheet
    How to use VBA to get the cell address of the active cell in an inactive worksheet and then place that cell address in a location on the current...