Excel 365 problem when opening CSV file containing the @ symbol

mrc1925

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

I am using Excel 365 and have an issue that has appeared sometime within the last 30 days with regards to how Excel opens and converts CSV (comma separated values) files.

I normally open several CSV format files every month. When I open the files, Excel parses out the columns automatically. One of the columns has items that begin with the @ symbol. Previously, this was left as a text field when opened in Excel. Now, when I open these files, there is = sign in front of the @ symbol so Excel thinks this is a formula and then returns the error #name?. Data example below:

SERIAL#, MODEL#, TYPE,PART, PART DESCRIPTION

"SERIAL#1","'0123456","AAA","@thing1","THING ONE"
"SERIAL#2","'0987654","BBB","@THING2","THING TWO"

The PART column with @thing1 appears as =@THING1 which returns the error.

It seems there may have been a logic change of some sort with Excel 365 on how it interprets the @ symbol sometime within the last 30 days.

Any thoughts on how or why this is happening and any way to prevent it?

Thank you

Update: We elected to just remove the @ symbol altogether since the customer really doesn't need to see it. However, I thought I would try your suggestion of replacing the @ with '@ as a test. The results were that the cell now contains ''@ (since text) and '@ is visible. Before, the cell just had @ even though there was the ' character in the cell denoting it was text. I guess there isn't a way to keep it just as it was so when the customer opens the file, they see only the @ sign without quotes visible in the cell.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
Not that I'm aware of, although if it already had a ' at the start of the cell I'm surprised that it added the = sign, thereby converting it to a formula.

Upvote 0
The CSV file has "@thing1" (double quotes before and after). When it was opened previously, it would reflect @thing1 as the visible part of the cell but the ' was actually added when the file was opened because Excel viewed the data as text I assume.

Upvote 0
Yes that's how it would have been before the advent of Dynamic Arrays, unfortunately Xl now sees it as a formula & will add the = sign, unless you imprt the data & set the column as text in the import wizard.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DumbFinanceBro

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back