Excel add-in still checks removed file reference

DutchKevin

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi

I had a macro which was looking at another file for it's creation date, and pasted in my sheet a vlookup formula to that other file. range().formula = "=vlookup etc. It worked.
But the macro has been removed again from my module, I solved it differently now

But now when loading excel from scratch the xlam loading takes a whole minute, and in the bottom status bar i see it tries to reference that other file for some reason.
I cannot find any place where i can see why it still does this.
During my checks i did see that the xlam file itself is now 29 MB big, but if that is new, or has been so for longer i cannot tell. I have 20+ modules etc in the xlam file
Any advice on how to hunt the issue down?
I hate to have the export import all the modules to a new xlam

Thanks for any support!

Kevin

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
I had a macro which was looking at another file for it's creation date, and pasted in my sheet a vlookup formula to that other file.
Sounds like two kinds of references, one within a macro and one within a worksheet formula. Just some thoughts:
- is the formula (also) used on a sheet within your add-in that you're not aware of?
- is the macro a dependency used by another macro?
- is the macro an UDF?
- what actions are performed when the add-in is launched (Workbook_Open event)?

During my checks i did see that the xlam file itself is now 29 MB big, but if that is new, or has been so for longer i cannot tell.
The file size doesn´t change by itself. If the add-in originates from you, you ought to know what's in it. You could save (a copy of) the add-in as a workbook and then inspect the worksheets for unintended content, such as shapes and images to narrow down the file size.
Apart from this I don't have any suggestions.

Upvote 0
Thanks GWteB for thinking with me here.
the slowness and Ref checking happens when opening a blank workbook excel from scratch. So during the splash screen while loading all kinds of add-ins
No formula ref is made or active yet due to the blank book
Also no "on open" actions in the macro
The macro was written to function on it's own, looking at the file created date in another folder
It pasted that date on my sheet, and a vlookup formula into a range of cells.
So i would expect the reference to be used only when I activated the macro.

But meanwhile the macro is not there anymore, deleted, but the ref to the file is still checked when loading excel first time.

I tried renaming the addin to xlsm and check it, but excel claims that is cannot open it.
Somehow stuff is really massed up.

To proceed I have decided to do the export all modules to .bas files, and import them in a new book / add-in
It was some work, but better spend than the slowness and searching.
But I did keep the old addin file to perhaps later find out why it did what it did.

thanks once more

Kevin

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
visheshkotha

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back