Excel and Access question

thelton

I have a database with a number(key), first, last name, and a picture of the person. I was wanting to be able to type in the number in say A1 and have the following automatically inserted: B1=first name, C1=last name, D1 have the picture inserted.
I do not know VB. I'm using Office 2K. I have not been able to get the Access data sheets to do what i'm trying so I thought that excel would do it.

Thanks,
Trent

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
How come this doesn't work in your access database.... sounds very simple to me??
Is your data in the same table?

Upvote 0
Yes it is in the same table. The data needs to be formatted a certain way, to be printed out for wristbands. I would think it would be easy in Excel, by maybe using fields or something, but I am not sure how to get the end results. I have created the Excel speadsheet in the format that I need, now I just need to get the data into the cells.

Trent

Upvote 0
Sorry for the delay...

Have you tried using MSQuery in Excel to extract the data to Excel?

Try menu item Data...get external data...
You can use the wizard to set up your query (a bit like access query writing tool) to return data to excel... you can then format the data as you wish in excel....

Upvote 0
In access design a form containing the fields you want in the format you want for the wristbands. All forms in access include a couple of navigation arrows to scroll through the data (or you can search the table as well).

Another option would be to design the layout for your wristband in word and perform a mail merge with your access table, I'm pretty sure that mail merge will allow you to search for particular field entries (ie the number).

Edit: Of course a mail merge wouldn't allow you to include the photograph...and I think it would be tricky to include the photo in excel. A form in access can include it easily though.
This message was edited by ThePencilQueen on 2002-10-29 10:42

Upvote 0
I have tried the query the DB from excel and it does dump the data in, just not the pic. We already have a spreadsheet that we are using, but we have to copy and paste everything, and it changes every week and we are talking about 400+ numbers,names and pics. The mail merge thing I think you are right you can not bring the pic in. I know in Excel that the pic is not really in the cell it is on another layer. Just really frustrated and I know there has to be a easier way to accomplish what I'm doing.
Thank you all for your advance and help...Still open for suggestions on ANY WAY to get this to be an easier task.

Trent

Upvote 0
Couldn't you use the Reports or Forms functionality of Access to do this? You could lay-out a form the way you would like the fields to be printed and search for a specific record using the Access form facilities.

Marc

Upvote 0
I know this isn't a Access forum, but do you know how to make the make the image auto fit into the bound image box? On other things there was some auto fit and shrink to fit, but I need the image to auto resize and not the box.

This just might be the thing I needed. Thanks for shedding the light.

Trent

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BatCoder

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back