Excel and Match Index

Karen2403

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a dataset in excel as below (this is made up data). On a separate sheet I have drop down lists to select the subject ie Mechanics or Engineering and then a second drop down to select the level ie Awareness or Senior.

I have tried so many formulas and I think my problem is using a range rather than a column. Is it possible to use index match or anything so that if I select Engineering and Awareness, it will then list the people who meet this criteria ie John Smith and Peter Jones? I can get it to work if I stipulate the column to look in (in bold below) but I this will change dependent on what is selected in the drop down box, so I need a range in here if at all possible.

Full Name Mechanics Engineering Software

John Smith Awareness Awareness Expert
Paul Walters Senior Senior Senior
Peter Jones Senior Awareness Awareness

=IFERROR(INDEX(Employee_Data[Full Name],SMALL(IF(Employee_Data[Engineering]=$K$3,ROW(Employee_Data[EmployeeID])-ROW(INDEX(Employee_Data[EmployeeID],1,1))+1), ROWS($D$2:D2))),"")

Any help appreciated :)

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
How about
Excel Formula:
=IFERROR(INDEX(Employee_Data[full Name],AGGREGATE(15,6,(ROW(Employee_Data[full Name])-ROW(Employee_Data[[#Headers],[full Name]]))/(INDEX(Employee_Data,,MATCH(K$2,Employee_Data[#Headers],0)) Employee_Data[Engineering]=$K$3),ROWS($D$2:D2))),"")
Where K2 has the header value

Upvote 0
How about
Excel Formula:
=IFERROR(INDEX(Employee_Data[full Name],AGGREGATE(15,6,(ROW(Employee_Data[full Name])-ROW(Employee_Data[[#Headers],[full Name]]))/(INDEX(Employee_Data,,MATCH(K$2,Employee_Data[#Headers],0)) Employee_Data[Engineering]=$K$3),ROWS($D$2:D2))),"")
Where K2 has the header value
Morning

I have tried this but I can't get it to work :(. I am attaching a dummy dataset to explain better what I would like to do. On sheet 'Search', I would like to select the three items highlighted in green and then on the same sheet in rows 9 downwards, for it to return everyone from the employee data who matches these 3 criteria, similar to that in the sheet 'Func Area'. Is this possible?

Many thanks

Attachments

• Search.JPG
    Search.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Func_Area.JPG
    Func_Area.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Employee_Data.png
    Employee_Data.png
    105.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Data.JPG
    Data.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 11
Upvote 0
The formula should be
Excel Formula:
=IFERROR(INDEX(Employee_Data[full Name],AGGREGATE(15,6,(ROW(Employee_Data[full Name])-ROW(Employee_Data[[#Headers],[full Name]]))/(INDEX(Employee_Data,,MATCH(F$3,Employee_Data[#Headers],0))=$I$3),ROWS($D$2:D2))),"")
although I'm not sure where the C3 value fits in.

Upvote 0
Solution
The formula should be
Excel Formula:
=IFERROR(INDEX(Employee_Data[full Name],AGGREGATE(15,6,(ROW(Employee_Data[full Name])-ROW(Employee_Data[[#Headers],[full Name]]))/(INDEX(Employee_Data,,MATCH(F$3,Employee_Data[#Headers],0))=$I$3),ROWS($D$2:D2))),"")
although I'm not sure where the C3 value fits in.
Wow - works perfectly - thank you so much.

I'm guessing I only need the C3 to direct the drop down in F3 - I absolutely would not have worked this out on my own so I am very grateful! :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back