Excel Array Not Repopulating

Farscape2020

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Good Day,

I am having difficulty with my arrays in vba. In my Excel file, I have 10 worksheets representing the months from September until June. After downloading a csv file and sorting the data (by month and then by day), I add the the range for each month to an array using the following code

VBA Code:
        If GetArrLength(attendanceArr) > 0 Then

Erase attendanceArr

End If

If searchColumn(attendanceSheet, "J", i) = True Then

With attendanceSheet
                startRow = .Range("J1:J" & findLastRow(attendanceSheet, "J")).Find(what:=i, after:=.Range("J1")).row
                endRow = .Range("J1:J" & findLastRow(attendanceSheet, "J")).Find(what:=i, after:=.Range("J1"), searchdirection:=xlPrevious).row
            End With

attendanceArr = Range("A" & startRow & ":" & attendanceSheetLastLetter & endRow)

where "i" is the iterator from 1 to 12 (1 for January, 2 for February, and so on.). Search column is a function that searches column J to determine if "i" (or the month) is listed in the csv file. The findLastRow() is a function to find the last row of the data. When I run the macro, September populates without an issue. However, when it attempts to add the data for October, the data is not added to the array. See Below

1634741764544.png

Would anyone be able to hazard a guess as to why the array would populate for September (i = 9) and not for October (i =10)? Please let me know if you require any further information.

Thank you for you help.

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
Without insight what the other tailor made functions are doing (i.e. whether they return the correct result) it's still a guess, but I think the Find method is playing tricks on you.
In your code you don't define all parameters and since the settings for LookIn, LookAt, SearchOrder, and MatchByte are saved each time you use the Find method, the returned result may be different from what you expected.

Upvote 0
Sorry for the lack of details, it was not intended. Here are all the details.

VBA Code:
Function findLastRow(ws As Worksheet, column As String) As Integer 

findLastRow = ws.Cells(ws.Rows.Count, column).End(xlUp).row

End Function

Function searchColumn(ws As Worksheet, column As String, value As Integer) As Boolean

Dim rng As Range
    Dim cell As Range
    Dim search As String
    Dim startRow As Integer
    Dim endRow As Integer

Set rng = ws.Range("J2:J" & findLastRow(ws, column))

Set cell = rng.Find(what:=value, LookIn:=xlValues, LookAt:=xlWhole, MatchCase:=False)

If cell Is Nothing Then

searchColumn = False

Else

searchColumn = True

End If

End Function

Sub UpdateAttendance()

Dim attendanceArr As Variant
    Dim i As Integer

For i = 10 To 10

nameCheck = False

If searchColumn(attendanceSheet, "J", i) = True Then

With attendanceSheet
                startRow = .Range("J1:J" & findLastRow(attendanceSheet, "J")).Find(what:=i, after:=.Range("J1")).row
                endRow = .Range("J1:J" & findLastRow(attendanceSheet, "J")).Find(what:=i, after:=.Range("J1"), searchdirection:=xlPrevious).row
            End With

attendanceArr = Range("A" & startRow & ":" & attendanceSheetLastLetter & endRow)

Select Case i

Case 1

populateAttendance ThisWorkbook.Sheets("January"), attendanceArr

Case 2

populateAttendance ThisWorkbook.Sheets("February"), attendanceArr

Case 3

populateAttendance ThisWorkbook.Sheets("March"), attendanceArr

populateAttendance ThisWorkbook.Sheets("April"), attendanceArr

Case 5

populateAttendance ThisWorkbook.Sheets("May"), attendanceArr

Case 6

populateAttendance ThisWorkbook.Sheets("June"), attendanceArr

Case 9

populateAttendance ThisWorkbook.Sheets("September"), attendanceArr

Case 10

populateAttendance ThisWorkbook.Sheets("October"), attendanceArr

Case 11

populateAttendance ThisWorkbook.Sheets("November"), attendanceArr

Case 12

populateAttendance ThisWorkbook.Sheets("December"), attendanceArr

End Select

End If

Next i

End Sub

I have tried debugging the code. When I step through the code, it skips the Cases 1 through 8 (January to August) which is what it is supposed to do. When i is 9 (September), it successfully executes the sub populateAttendance. When i is 10 (October), it successfully detects the startRow and endRow (it states the row that 10 begins with is 1302 and ends at row 2211 which is correct). It then executes the attendanceArr line and the result is

sPRD1.png

The array is empty. However, when I change the For loop to For i = 10 To 10, focus on just October, macro works fine. I do understand I have an error in the macro but I do not understand where.

Upvote 0
Since your code is closely related to worksheet data, it would be of great help if you could provide sample data using the XL2BB tool so we're able to reproduce your issue.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arbind kumar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back