Excel asking to unprotect an unprotected worksheet

roemun

I am working on a worksheet that has been protected off and on. I unprotected this AM, but XL will not allow changes and instructs to unprotect the WS, but it is already unprotected. The WB is not protected and never was. I am at a loss as to how to work around this problem.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
Close all files in Excel and quit Excel. Restart Excel and check if the problem persists. If it does, then post back here.

Upvote 0
Do you have a protected workbook ?

Also, do you have any macros plonked into your workbook ? There has to be something which is causing this behavior in your file. It could be well related to the macros in your workbook. Have you checked it through the VBA Editor for that particular workbook ?

Upvote 0
I have no macros in the WB, and it will not allow me to enter one. I tried to record a macro and the recorder showed that it started, but would not stop. It only stopped when I closed and reopened the WB.

Upvote 0
I forgot that there is a macro in the wb, it is a table of contents macro, it is protected, but appears to be functioning properly. It has been in the wb since the wb was created. I have used this particular macro in many wb without any problem.

Upvote 0
I was able to enter and run a macro:

Sub UnProtectMe()
Dim ws as WorkSheet
For Each ws in Sheets
ws.Unprotect "password"
Next ws
End Sub

This was unsuccessful.

Upvote 0
Could you not remove all the macros or modules from the workbook or disable them ?

Upvote 0
One of my work partners suggested saving the wb as a not macro enabled wb. Oddly, this worked, but only for one of two worksheets. XL is still telling me to unprotect an unprotected sheet.

Upvote 0
Also, try turning up the macro security level to high...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skydd

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back