Excel auto-interprets dates - infuriating!

VIIcards

I am trying to cut and paste various data fields into Excel, and one of the fields is a number followed by a hyphen followed by another number. For instance: 5-27 or 7-98. These are *NOT* dates, but Excel interprets them as such and does so as May-27 or Jul-98. I have tried to format the column and the whole sheet as "text" cells prior to pasting, but the data actually causes Excel to override my formatting and it *STILL* incorrectly interprets these expressions as dates. I'm going to have a date with a therapist soon if I can't fix this. I've searched tools/options, but nothing jumps out at me as a way to tell Excel to cease and desist this annoying practice. Are there any out there that have encountered and/or solved this issue? Help would be greatly appreciated.

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
Before you paste could you not click paste special option and set it to paste values

Dave

Upvote 0
Well, you're half-right, but your suggestion did make me go further. When cutting and pasting from this website, and then going into Excel/Edit/PasteSpecial, I am not given the tradition pop-up menu of choices, which would normally include the option to paste values only. Instead, I have this menu of three choices: Paste it as HTML, Unicode Text, or just plain text. Naturally, I opted for text, but that *still* doesn't get the job done, and Excel misinterprets some numbers as dates. However, if I pre-format the cells to be text only and then paste it in as text, that works. As much as I love excel, I despise "intuitive" software that assumes something that isn't so. Just as Ben Franklin said that liberty shouldnt be sacrificed for safety, functionality shouldn't be sacrificed for user-friendliness.

Grant

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shantanu2024

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back